Name for type of quilt

Leonna

Bulgarian - Bulgaria
Hello, everyone! Can you help me out with the English word for this type of quilt/bedspread? It's usually thick and fluffy.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Hello, everyone! Can you help me out with the English word for this type of quilt/bedspread? It's usually thick and fluffy.
    How big is it?

PS
    How is this type of quilt called? :cross:
    What is this type of quilt called? :tick:

lingobingo

English - England
    If it were a carpet, it would be described as shag pile.

As a bedspread, it might be called a “long pile throw”.

Loob

English UK
    I used to have rugs like that, but I can't remember what they were described as.

Googling, I can see similar-looking items - fake fur, not real - advertised as Mongolian faux fur throws.

Leonna

Bulgarian - Bulgaria
    Thank you all! I think I'm gonna go for a fur throw. Thanks for correcting me PaulQ! They come in different sizes, depending on the sofa/bed/armchair you put it on.

lingobingo

English - England
    If you’re going to use the word fur, in this day and age it would be foolhardy not to add “faux” to make it clear that it’s not actual animal fur. ;)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    If you’re going to use the word fur, in this day and age it would be foolhardy not to add “faux” to make it clear that it’s not actual animal fur. ;)
    In addition, if I saw an animal with this shag material as their "coat" I wouldn't call it fur*, which the dictionary defines as "the fine, soft, thick, hairy coat of the skin of a mammal." So I would recommend adding "shag" to the description :)

*Do sheep have fur? :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It isn't what we would call a quilt. Is it woven from sheep's wool?

It looks to me like first cousin to a Greek flokati - an old, rather matted flokati rug that needs washing. Some people use them as throws on sofas, but the shag pile is perhaps longer than it is on the average flokati.

Loob

English UK
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Flokati - that's the word I've been desperately trying to drag from my brain!

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Flokati - that's the word I've been desperately trying to drag from my brain!
    The Wikipedia entry for Flokati gives the impression of being a rug or floor covering, not a quilt:

Flokati were popular in the 1970s.[4]Considering the word first appeared in English in 1967 it is likely to was invented by modern rug producers.

Gagalis Co. imported flokati from Greece starting in 1970 and sold them as "a new look in casual floor coverings."

Flokati rug - Wikipedia

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    I've read others except velisarius's.;)
    Okay I read it just now.
    She appears not mentioning it used as a bedspread.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    According to a Greek source, flokati rugs were traditionally woven by the Vlachs of the Pindos mountains. The Vlach shepherds apparently also used to wear them (a heavier, felted and more weather-proof version, I think) as well as using them as a floor-covering and as bedding.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    (We did transhumance in school geography lessons - one of the very few pieces of information that stuck.)

It seems that not so many English speakers know about flokatis today. They were quite popular even in England in the 1970s - my uncle in Sussex had a huge white one to match his Old English sheepdog. I associate them with the then trendy Danish-style furniture.

If you have to translate the term, Leonna, perhaps "shaggy, heavy woollen bedspread". It is rather heavier than the usual "throw".

Zareza

Romanian
    Here there are some shepherds with flokatis several years ago.
    Transhumanta, expozitie de fotografie de Dragos Lumpan si Gaetan Rousselet Imagine similară
    ”Very few people other than anthropologists are familiar with the term” of transhumance. Yes, the shepherds. :rolleyes:
    (It is unbelievably that transhumance exists nowadays in Europe. A Romanian photographer pursued for 5 years the transhumance in Albania, Greece, Italy, Wales and Turkey. The shepherd with the dog has 101 years old (in 2018) )

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You didn't tell us whether it's a sheepskin, Leonna. I don't think sheep come quite that big, so it would have to be several, cut to shape and joined together.

< Previous | Next >