names for a children's game [jump rope elastic]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Negina, Oct 4, 2010.

  1. Negina Senior Member

    Hey, everyone! :)
    There's a children's game, well, a girls' one mostly, when one girl jumps over an elastic rope held by two other girls )) Well, I've attached a picture :) So I wonder how it's called in English :)

    Attached Files:

  2. panjandrum

    panjandrum Occasional Moderator

    Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    My ten-year-old expert tells me that this is called French Skipping. She has a special green elastic rope at school with this written on it.
    Her mother, who is less up-to-date on such matters, calls it German Jumps.

    From a less reputable source (the BBC) it is also called Elastics. I'm sure I remember hearing that as well.
    For a full description, see HERE. It's down the page a little.
  3. Negina Senior Member

    many thanks to the experts! :)
  4. Hermione Golightly

    Hermione Golightly Senior Member

    British English
    It's called French skipping.
  5. Negina Senior Member

    And the winner is French skipping :) Thanks! :)
  6. Negina Senior Member

    thanks for the link :) and BBC provides the second variant - French skipping )
  7. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

    English - US
    Here in the States, or at least in California, we call it Chinese jump rope.

    The version of Chinese jump rope that I know involves twisting the elastic in a specified pattern with your feet while you jump.
  8. ewhite

    ewhite Senior Member

    It's Chinese jump rope here in New York City, too.
  9. Majorbloodnock Senior Member

    South East England
    British English
    Certainly I remember it being called French skipping, though since I was only ever a spectator I wouldn't be able to tell you any of the intricacies involved.
  10. Rana_pipiens

    Rana_pipiens Senior Member

    Salt Lake City, Utah
    USA / English
    Here's a third vote, from Utah, for it being Chinese jump rope in American English.
  11. Negina Senior Member

    Hm, thanks! I wonder where the Chinese / French parts come from anyway :) The name we use here in Russia can be translated simply as Elastics :)
  12. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

    English - US
    For sake of completeness: An eHow article on Chinese jump rope offers the following assortment of names:
    In various parts of the world, Chinese jump rope is known as "Elastics," "Japanese jump rope," "French Skipping," "American Skipping" or "German jumping."
    The Wiki article I link to above refers to it as a Chinese game, but cites no authority. The eHow article says that it began in Japan in the 1930s.

    Added: The Wiki article contains a cross-reference to an article on Jumpsies, which seems to be the Canadian version of the same game.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  13. Majorbloodnock Senior Member

    South East England
    British English
    How intriguing that a country should call the practice "American Skipping", but that the US should refer to it as "Chinese jump rope". It almost seems as if no-one wants to accept responsibility for it....
  14. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

    English - US
    OK, I found an eHow article on the history of Chinese jump rope. It says that this is in fact a traditional Chinese game:
    The game originated in seventh century China. It is still played during celebrations of the Chinese New Year. (History of Chinese Jump Ropes |
    Before this, I would have assumed that it had the name because we like to associate things with exotic places like China and France. (;))
  15. Negina Senior Member

    thanks! :thumbsup:
    In Russian, French and Italian a French leave is called an "English leave" :) And as far as I know English speakers sometimes refer to roller coasters as "Russian Mountains" while we call them "American mountains" ) But wiki explains that it all comes from history :)
  16. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    Another Country
    English English
    All this reminds me (kind of) of 'the French disease', Major Sir.
    I believe that's what rollercoasters were originally called, Negina, but I've never heard anyone actually use the term in English. (They're called 'Russian mountains' in French:))
  17. Negina Senior Member

    didn't know that )
  18. panjandrum

    panjandrum Occasional Moderator

    Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    << Ahemmoderator's comment.
    Could we please keep to the topic of the children's game. >
  19. franc 91 Senior Member

    English - GB
    I regularly post this up for my pupils -
    and there are several other sites which provide skipping rhymes and games.
  20. miss.meri91

    miss.meri91 Senior Member

    Durban, South Africa
    English - South Africa
    And us South Africans can add another name to the list - we called this game "England, Ireland." I know this seems to be a bit of a leap ('scusing the pun), but it comes from the words in the rhyme that we accompanied it with, i.e. "England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Inside, Outside, Inside, On."
    You would then go up in levels, so the two people holding the elastic with their ankles would move the elastic up and down their legs, or make the area within the elastic narrower. I remember I always had problems with 'waisties' (i.e. when the elastic was at waist height) because I was so much shorter than everyone else.
  21. Paige! New Member

    Near London
    British English
    My friends and I just called it skipping when we were younger but I think it's called 'french skipping' :)
  22. Thomas1

    Thomas1 Senior Member

    polszczyzna warszawska
    << Joined with previous thread. Read from the top to see more names from various countries. >>


    I'm looking for a name of a game for children/teenagers played in Poland.

    The game requires at least three people and an elastic band (whose ends are tied up together). The elastic band is stretched across from one person to the other (they stand facing each other at some distance). The third person, starting on one side, jumps over the two parallel lines of the band (following some pattern of movements). After going to the other side, and without commiting a foul (e.g. stepping on one of the lines), the level of the band is increased and the whole proces of jumping repeats. In case of a foul the jumper changes.
    Some visual examples:

    There are some variations of the game (e.g. using two elastic bands).

    What do you call it in English please? What would you call it if it doesn't exist in English-speaking countries?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
  23. Andygc

    Andygc Senior Member

    British English
    For BE, we don't. We can't call it anything, because it doesn't exist.
    See my later post :eek:
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  24. It's called 'elastics'.

    Google 'elastic game' to see it played on YouTube. (We're not allowed to post the links here. Don't ask me why.)

    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  25. Andygc

    Andygc Senior Member

    British English
    Well, goodness me - you learn something new every day. When I did a quick Google, as suggested, I noticed that the videos were not British - one was from New Zealand, and another European - I didn't recognize the language. The one UK site I noticed called it French Elastic or French Skipping.
  26. Myridon

    Myridon Senior Member

    English - US
    I know it as "Chinese jump rope".
    From the Wikipedia article linked above:
    (Note: The lengths given in that quote are way too short.)
  27. london calling Senior Member

    I'm from London: we always played French skipping in the playground.;) You wouldn't have: boys didn't, that's probably why you've never heard of it.;)
  28. Bevj

    Bevj Allegra Moderata

    Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    Wow that takes me back.....
    We also played French skipping in the school playground - girls only as london calling says.
  29. Thomas1

    Thomas1 Senior Member

    polszczyzna warszawska
    Thank you all. :)

    Interesting that it's French elastic/skipping in the UK, but Chinese jump rope in the US.

Share This Page