Names

downfallofutopia

USA / English
Cześć,

I have a pretty simple question. I just need to know what the traditional polish name is for Dawn, Brian, and Colleen. That is if there is one.

A quick example of this: Michael = Michą.

Dziękuję za pomoc.

• Brian P

Cześć,

I have a pretty simple question. I just need to know what the traditional polish name is for Dawn, Brian, and Colleen. That is if there is one.

A quick example of this: Michael = Michą.

Dziękuję za pomoc.

As far as I know only the names of biblical characters, e.g. Matthew, Eve, Mary, Jacob, Paul, Adam, Abraham, Benjamin, etc. have equivalents in other languages.

Brian

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    For "Dawn" perhaps a literal translation would work -- can a native confirm.

And I'm not sure, but I think Colleen is an Irish name. Many Irish names have traditional English equivalents. If there is one for Colleen, it might help to know what it is.

downfallofutopia

USA / English
    I didn't think that those names had an equivalent, but I was just checking. Thank you very much for your help, and the quick responses. I've only recently found this forum, and it is incredibly helpful.

Dziękuję

Marga H

Poland,Polish
    As far as I know only the names of biblical characters, e.g. Matthew, Eve, Mary, Jacob, Paul, Adam, Abraham, Benjamin, etc. have equivalents in other languages.

Brian
    Not only.Some names were adapted from foreign languages as a result of international relations (for example kings' names :Karol,Ryszard,August).Nowadays influences are often pop and film stars,film characters etc.
    Brian does exist in Polish:Brajan (pronounciation like the English original)however isn't very frequent(yet?):)

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Isn't Brian an Irish equivalent of English Bernard and Barnabas? If so Polish translation would be Bernard and Barnaba respectively.

Tom

Seana

Polish
    Polish Barnaba - Latin Bar Nebuah - in English Prophet's son

Polish Bernard - Old-German - Bernhard = in English bear + hard , strong