Nanny and Grandpa?

beyazlale

TR
I always knew that nanny means a woman whose job is looking after young children.

I was reading a book the other day and I saw a title like this:

"Nanny and Grandpa"

Can "nanny" mean "grandmother" as well?

Thank you very much for your answers.

• It is used sometimes in AE as an affectionate nickname for one's grandmother. Various versions of "grandma" (usually pronounced "gramma") or "granny" are much more common, but "nanny" is heard, too.

I don't know if the use is current in BE.

Different families use different names for addressing one's grandmother. I have knowm families in which grandmothers were addressed by their grandchildren as Gramma, Mama, Nana, and Mimi, in addition to such forms from other languags as Nonna and Oma. I don't find it remotely odd that a family might call its Grandmother "Nanny".

sdgraham

USA English
    In my wife's family on her mother's side, grandmothers traditionally have been called "Nanna."

This does not, however, apply to my wife, who obviously is far too young to have two granddaughters ;).

To me, a "nanny" is someone employed to take care of children. If a nanny and Grandpa had a thing going, I would regard it as rather salacious.

Loob

English UK
    It is used sometimes in AE as an affectionate nickname for one's grandmother. Various versions of "grandma" (usually pronounced "gramma") or "granny" are much more common, but "nanny" is heard, too.

I don't know if the use is current in BE.
    Yes, it is:)

Forero

Sometimes a different name is needed for Papa's mother and for Mother's mother, so one may be Grandmother and the other Meemaw, Nanna, Dear, whatever.

I believe Nanny can also be an Auntie or a Great Aunt.

Nhilsedaniels

English-American
    I call my mother's Mom Nanny and my neices calls my mother Nanny and I plan on my children calling my mother Nanny.

Newfoundland

English
    I am from Newfoundland, Canada and almost everyone I know calls their grandmother Nanny or Nan for short. I always thought this was more widely used.