Napolitan: Stiamo penzati...mo' Vito quel capafreshca dove sta sta deve uscire fuori

shiba

Greek-English and Greece
Hello there,

I would immensely appreciate your help in understanding the following frase...It appears in a novel and is used by a person who is a native of Sicily apparently.

"Stiamo penzati...mo' Vito quel capafreshca dove sta sta deve uscire fuori"

Thank you in advance!

• shiba

Greek-English and Greece
    It's Napolitan (capa fresca, mo')
    Now Vito, that lazy* guy, he must come out, wherever he is/no matter where he is.
    Wait for a Neapolitan for a more idiomatic translation.

*Tené 'a capa fresca = non aver altro a cui pensare, who has no many tasks, things to do, so that he can think about jokes and the like

Napoletano/Modi di dire - Wikibooks, manuali e libri di testo liberi
    You're the absolute best! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! Stupid of me, I was looking for these words in Sicialian...And they're neapolitan! I can't thank you enough. :)

Nino83

Italian
    On second thoughts I'd say that capa fresca is more similar to spensierato, i.e carefree, happy-go-lucky, which is a state of mind that can derive from not having so much to do, so much tasks, works and so on, but the stress is put on this state of mind.

Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    Hello, shiba.
    E 'stiamo penzati' = 'abbiamo pensato' (we have thought), I suppose. Even thought I suspect a Neapolitan wouldn't say that...

shiba

Greek-English and Greece
    Thank you, Necsus and Nino83 for your help, it's greatly appreciated...And fear I have a couple of phrases more but I will ask about them in due time. :)

< Previous | Next >