Narrated time and narrative time

< Previous | Next >

kalys

France/français
Hello !!!

Can someone explain to me what is the difference between narrated time and narrative time?

Thanks

• b1947420

British English
    "narrated" is the past participle of the verb "narrate" --> to give an account of something, for example "description / commentary"
    "narrative" is an noun meaning "an account of something" for example "chronicle / history / record"

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Judging by a quick google, narrative/narrating/narration time is the time it takes to tell a story, while narrated time is the time that elapses in the story.

I may have got this wrong, though;)

timpeac

English (England)
    Judging by a quick google, narrative/narrating/narration time is the time it takes to tell a story, while narrated time is the time that elapses in the story.

I may have got this wrong, though;)
    That would be my guess too.

Kalys - it would help if you had some example sentences where you have read each word.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think we need some context.

Even though these seem to have specific technical meanings, the old-fashioned rule applies. Please give us the contexts in which you have seen them, including the specific sentences in which they are used.

Narrative time is used as Loob describes, but it also sometimes refers to other aspects of the relationship between the time the story is ostensibly being narrated in relation to the time in which the events took place.

Edit: Though this repeats timpeac's request, which was posted as I was writing this, I'll let it stand.

kalys

France/français
    Well, I have no concrete example. It's just a question on the novel Heart of Darkness( by Conrad) that one of my teacher asked me and that I cannot explain. I really have a problem with this terms: I've found the definitions on internet but I still do not understand the difference.

< Previous | Next >