narrative conviction

< Previous | Next >

ebrahim

Persian
Hi,

I have difficulty understand the meaning of the red part, partially because I can't decide if 'narrative' is a noun or an adjective here. So, would you please explain to me what 'narrative conviction' might mean?

"
In its stead, neo-baroque space offers itself for the immersion of the spectator in the spectacle, much as the old baroque drew the faithful into rapt contemplation of immense trompe l’oeil ceilings. This immersion is itself an allegory: in the old baroque an allegory of redemption; in the new, of a satisfaction that comes from bathing in the apogee of consumerism, the lifestyle. The allegory of immersion reduces the narrative conviction of familiar cause–effect structures, limiting them to pattern-making functions, or disregarding them entirely."

Film Theory and Contemporary Hollywood Movies, chapter two
: The Supernatural in Neo-baroque Hollywood, by Sean Cubitt

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Hunh. If I was translating this text I'd now be chasing Mr Cubitt around his house with a hatchet, shouting things. Okay, I think this means that narrative is traditionally realistic: it gives you a conviction that what you're reading or seeing is real. That's the narrative conviction. And while immersion would increase this narrative sense of conviction, allegory of immersion would reduce it, somehow . . . hand me that hatchet, someone.

ebrahim

Persian
    Hunh. If I was translating this text I'd now be chasing Mr Cubitt around his house with a hatchet, shouting things. Okay, I think this means that narrative is traditionally realistic: it gives you a conviction that what you're reading or seeing is real. That's the narrative conviction. And while immersion would increase this narrative sense of conviction, allegory of immersion would reduce it, somehow . . . hand me that hatchet, someone.
    That was so funny! I'll hand you a Kalashnikov if you could off him for me. :D

< Previous | Next >