"narrower" or more narrow" ?

< Previous | Next >

etmum

French France
Hi everybody !
Should we say "narrower" or "more narrow" ? "cleverer" or "more clever" ? ; I learnt the former at school but then again I read the latter ! Thanks for your help !
etmum

• river

U.S. English
    Perhaps "narrower" works better as a noun modifier {a narrower road} while "more narrow" modifies verbs and adverbs {the road became more narrow as we drove along}. {She is the cleverer of the two} {She is more clever than I}

daviesri

USA English
    As far as I know, both are valid.

That road is more narrow than that one, but that other road is even more narrow than both of them.

That road is narrower than that one, but that other road is even narrower than both of them.

That road is more narrow than that one, but that other road is even narrower than both of them.

csonti75

Hungarian
    As far as I know, both are valid.

That road is more narrow than that one, but that other road is even more narrow than both of them.

That road is narrower than that one, but that other road is even narrower than both of them.

That road is more narrow than that one, but that other road is even narrower than both of them.

csonti75

Hungarian
    Dear Mr. Daviesri,
    regarding a conversation made by You last year with others:
    and if I want to tell "narrowed" regarding a shirt? Is it correct?
    Can I say: narrowed, short sleeved shirt in english? Thank You for your help!

< Previous | Next >