nascondersi dietro un dito

• JayH

English, United States
    puoi dirmi il senso di questo frase idiomatico? Hiding yourself behind a finger makes no sense in inglese. Ma forse posso dirti un' espressione equivalente se capisco che voul dire.

JayH

English, United States
    OK, you can say "you can't hide behind that excuse" (or whatever the excuse is, but you can't say finger!)

I guess you could say something figurative like,
    "you can't hide behind your mother's dress"

I mean, it's not an expression I have ever heard, but I think it would make sense no matter what the context.

Br€ndita

Italian - Milan
    Actually in this case the meaning is a bit different from "avoiding troubles searching for an unfounded excuse".
    It means more "don't be ashamed and tell the truth". Do you have any ideas?

HowardP

UK
    England, English
    Maybe "Don't be ashamed to come out with it." or even "Spit it out!" (meaning 'Say what you really mean!')

uinni

Italy, Italian
    HowardP said:
    Maybe "Don't be ashamed to come out with it." or even "Spit it out!" (meaning 'Say what you really mean!')
    Actually the Italian phrase means a thing like "don't you try fooling me by putting forth silly excuses".
    ("to try to hide behind a finger" is used because apparently the finger is not wide enough to hide you).

Uinni

Br€ndita

Italian - Milan
    Uinni got the exact right meaning, but if there is not an idiom in English to say that I think I'll use Howard's "Spit it out". It's effective and colloquial, even if something gets lost in translation!

breezeofwater

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I think it means that even if you hide yourself behind something so small like a finger, anybody can see that you are there and trying to do so.
    I still can’t find a decent equivalent in English, as meaningful and idiomatic. :(
    BW

Nascondersi dietro un dito
    Se io non voglio vedere qualcuno, basta che metta il dito dinanzi al mio occhio, molto vicino e non lo vedrò più.
    Ma mentre il mio occhio avrà la visuale impedita, chi mi guarda mi vedrà benissimo.
    Chi "si nasconde dietro un dito" nasconde dunque la realtà a sé, ma non sé alla realtà.

Tunalagatta

English - England
    Hi there :)

How about the expression, "To bury one's head in the sand" (nascondersi la testa sotto la sabbia, i.e. like an ostrich)? This is a pretty common idiom in English, and seems to have a similar meaning.

breezeofwater

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Hi there :)

How about the expression, "To bury one's head in the sand" (nascondersi la testa sotto la sabbia, i.e. like an ostrich)? This is a pretty common idiom in English, and seems to have a similar meaning.
    Many thanks Tuna, that sounds very good indeed. If one's head is burried in the sand the others can still see! :thumbsup:
    BW

GavinW

British English
    My vote goes to this:

Non nascondiamoci dietro un dito
    =
    Let's not try to pull the wool over other people's eyes

I think the translation would depend on the context. "Don't try to hide the obvious truth" may be a possibility.
    I don't think that's the same as "burying your head in the sand" which means refusing to think about unpleasant facts even though they may have some influence on the situation you are in.

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    I think the translation would depend on the context. "Don't try to hide the obvious truth" may be a possibility.
    I don't think that's the same as "burying your head in the sand" which means refusing to think about unpleasant facts even though they may have some influence on the situation you are in.
    Exactly, "To bury one's head in the sand" has nothing to do with "nascondersi dietro a un dito" and has a literal equivalent, that is "nascondere la testa nella sabbia", and a non-literal one, which is "fare come lo struzzo".

rrose17

Canada, English
    KC we have the same one, more or less, as "don't bury your head in the sand like an ostrich." For the "nasconderi dietro un dito" couldn't we just say in Gavin's example "let's not hide behind this."?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >