Natural places

• alex_ln

Polish
    Thank you.
    Actually I want to know whether "Natural places" is the correct word or not?
    "It is the responsibility of authorities to preserve natural places like lakes and rivers."

Thanks

George French

English - UK
    We can include many rivers in that as well... Many have been re-routed and have raised embankment to stop the water overflowing onto the, often reclaimed, land. That would be inconvenient for some. Not very natural...

GF..

grubble

British English
    ... except that not all lakes are "natural." (that''s just one of those dam details)
    We can include many rivers in that as well... Many have been re-routed and have raised embankment to stop the water overflowing onto the, often reclaimed, land. That would be inconvenient for some. Not very natural...

GF..
    I don't get your point. The OP is asking about natural features not man-made ones. Reservoirs, levees and canals aren't natural.

Last edited:

George French

English - UK
    I don't get your point. The OP is asking about natural features not man-made ones. Reservoirs, levees and canals aren't natural.
    The abbreviation OP? May I assume you meant the opening post.

I shall try to answer your question.

The original question of alex_In was:- 'Can I use the term "Natural places" for some places like lakes and rivers?'.

My post was supposed to be about what natural means. Some of the countryside in Western Europe is still natural but so much has been heavily modified by humans. Can you call a field full of wheat natural? If has been cultivated by humans. Can you say many of the rivers are natural?

Take a look at this definition of natural http://www.wordreference.com/definition/natural:- "Existing in or derived from nature; not made, caused by, or processed by humans."

I suppose we could argue about this definition... many lakes and rivers do not meet this definition.

GF..

Take a look at this:- http://www.mendeley.com/research/water-management-flood-protection-polders-netherlands-under-impact-climate-change-maninduced-changes-land/ "In the paper the relevant processes are described, based on some characteristic data on water management and flood protection in the Netherlands." The country side of much of the west of The Netherlands is man made.. The main rivers are controlled by man made installations. They are not natural any more...

Are the Fens in England natural? But then, does that matter?

A natural place is unspoilt by man.... I hope at least few are still out there and we could possible term them natural places.

We all have our own opinions.... :)

grubble

British English
    1.The abbreviation OP? May I assume you meant the opening post.

2. I shall try to answer your question.

The original question of alex_In was:- 'Can I use the term "Natural places" for some places like lakes and rivers?'.

3. My post was supposed to be about what natural means. Some of the countryside in Western Europe is still natural but so much has been heavily modified by humans. Can you call a field full of wheat natural? If has been cultivated by humans. Can you say many of the rivers are natural?
    1. I was using OP to mean the Original Poster in contrast with later posters on the thread. I hope alex_ln will forgive me.

2. What question?

3. Okay, I see what you are saying. Some rivers are not natural and some lakes are not natural so they wouldn't be included under "natural features".

What do you suggest as an alternative?

Last edited:

George French

English - UK
    What do you suggest as an alternative?
    I have not really got an alternative. Just leave out the word natural I suppose, unless it really hasn't been significantly changed by the hand of man. But as we are also part of the "natural world", with some hefty tools to assist us, where is the dividing line?

GF..

PS. I took your "I don't get your point" to be a question, not a statement...

< Previous | Next >