natural resource

Robert Snow

USA
We're curently having a "heated" debate and need some help!!

Is a "natural resource" of one country considered a "natural resource" if imported by another country?

Any insights or thoughts are appreciated !!!

• vachecow

USA English
    Yes, because the definition of a natural resource is....
    natural resource
    n.
    A material source of wealth, such as timber, fresh water, or a mineral deposit, that occurs in a natural state and has economic value.

Hope you won ;)

Chaucer

US inglés/español
    Robert Snow said:

Is a "natural resource" of one country considered a "natural resource" if imported by another country?

Robert Snow said:

Tell what you debated? Explain why any more foreros should spend time discussing this question, when you haven't said why and what you "heatedly debated" so far yourself? Otherwise you'll have foreros grabbing this elephant by the leg, the trunk, the tail.

Is a "beer" of one country considered a "beer" if imported by another country?

Marc1

Banned
    Italian / Spanish / German.
    Robert Snow said:

I suppose you mean imported from another country, or exported to another country.

A natural resource does not stop being a natural resource when it crosses the countries frontier. The debate about depletion of natural resources does not consider the depletion worst if it is the French that take the timber from the amazons or if it it is the locals to make coal.

Japan for example does not use his own timber in order to preserve their natural resources and chooses to import from other countries natural resources. What is the difference? I suppose that not in my backyard is at play, but as far as natural resources goes, the world is but one.

badger

Ireland, English speaker
    Robert Snow said:

Hi Robert Snow

I would call a "natural resource" imported into my country an import. .

If someone tells me that one of the natural resources of the state of Oregon is the wood from its forests.

Then I would only consider wood grown there, to be a part of this natural resource.

This is just my understanding of the term.

Hope it helps.

badger. :)

austingirl

U.S.A. English
    Badger is right, he is being modest by saying "that's just my understanding of the term."

If you have a tanker full of imported crude oil, would you call it a "natural resource"?

No, absolutely not. It's a "resource" but not a "natural resource."

The natural resource is the original mineral deposit in it's country of origin, and an oil deposit, like a timber forest, or fresh water lake, or any other natural resource cannot be exported, only the materials that are extracted from these natural resources.

The imports that were extracted from a natural resource might be called a "crude," "unrefined" or "raw" import, depending on what it is. (Examples: crude oil, unrefined steel, raw timber, etc.)

David

Banned
    I would say no, that is, if I understand the question.

We can consume all our natural resources, or we can escalate consumption of all the natural resources of other countries but importing, say, their oil or tin. But instead of exhausting the world's natural resources, we should reduce our consumption and increase the use of alternative sources of energy. Ingots of tin in a warehouse in Brooklyn are not a natural resource. Tin in the ground in Bolivia is a natural resource. Oil under Oklahoma is a natural resource. Gasoline in a tank in Oregon is not a natural resource.

In each of these cases, natural resources refers to the resources that are or were in a natural state. Once underground petroleum becomes the contents of a tank somewhere, it is no longer a natural resource, but rather a product or a commodity, though cheap or plentiful commodities can be resources for the development of industry.

You could say that US resources available in a crisis include petroleum products imported from the Arabian peninsula and stored here, but you cannot call them natural resources, because they are no longer in a natural state.

Silvia

Italian
    Yes of course vachecow. Wood is wood no matter where it comes from. It all lies in the particle 'of'

Natural resources of planet Earth (all the natural resources we know of)
    Natural resources of Iceland (resources whose origin is from that country only)
    In Iceland the main natural resources are geothermal power and fishing

Is that any clearer?

Marc1

Banned
    austingirl said:
    Badger is right, he is being modest by saying "that's just my understanding of the term."

If you have a tanker full of imported crude oil, would you call it a "natural resource"?

No, absolutely not. It's a "resource" but not a "natural resource."

The natural resource is the original mineral deposit in it's country of origin, and an oil deposit, like a timber forest, or fresh water lake, or any other natural resource cannot be exported, only the materials that are extracted from these natural resources.

The imports that were extracted from a natural resource might be called a "crude," "unrefined" or "raw" import, depending on what it is. (Examples: crude oil, unrefined steel, raw timber, etc.)

So according to your interpretation of the word, Australia imports crude oil from Kuwait, fair enough.
    So what is Oil? It is a Kuwaiti Natural Resource, therefore Australia imports Kuwaiti Natural Resources.

I pump petrol in my car, Is petrol an "import"? or a natural resource?. Well it is made from an "imported natural resource" What does it matter where it comes from? Petrol is a subproduct of a natural resource...from Kuwait...so?

The fact of the matter is that we cannot make it and therefore it is a "non renewable natural resource", be it from Kuwait or the moon.

When the US use to import minerals from Hawaii it was an import and now that Hawaii is a US state, it becomes a natural resource? What changed in the mineral? Answer, nothing, it was, and is, and always will be a natural resource even if the Japanese occupy Hawaii and declare it their own nation.

My friend, Natural does not mean "local", so anything that is a product of Nature is a Natural resource, regardless of origin.

Now if you want to make a distinction to make a political point and talk about local natural resources (g00d) as opposed to imported natural resources (baaad) ....you are welcome.

Marc1

Banned
    silviap said:
    Yes of course vachecow. Wood is wood no matter where it comes from. It all lies in the particle 'of'

Natural resources of planet Earth (all the natural resources we know of)
    Natural resources of Iceland (resources whose origin is from that country only)
    In Iceland the main natural resources are geothermal power and fishing

Is that any clearer?
    Not at all, even when I welcome your pacifist intentions. Noone is taking about any "of".

Natural resources are by definition products that are found in Nature and that are not man made.

Oil is a natural resource, yet we can make oil from garbage and there are plants doing it right now.
    So Oil extracted from the ground, regardless of who at this point in time has claim to such ground is a natural resource.

If we are talking about Bolivia and Bolivia's Natural resources, sure, Oils is not a Bolivian Natural resource, it is Saudi Arabia's Natural resource, it is nonetheless A natural resource, and no ammount of debate will change such fact.

badger

Ireland, English speaker
    Hi everyone.

We all seem to be losing the plot here.

In other words talking about different things.

A "natural resource" is obviously a natural resource, just by simple definition.

when the word imported is introduced it implies that we are referring to a
    specific geographical area.

Imported means that this item has come from outside this area, so its not natural to this area.

If we are talking about world resources then we just move these items around the world, not import and export them.

So as this thread is based on the original question, I am sticking to my first answer.

It's an import. Unless the word imported is removed from the original question.

Badger :) :)

badger

Ireland, English speaker
    badger said:
    Hi everyone.

A "natural resource" is obviously a natural resource, just by simple definition.

when the word imported is introduced it implies that we are referring to a
    specific geographical area.

Imported means that this item has come from outside this area, so its not natural to this area.

If we are talking about world resources then we just move these items around the world, not import and export them.

So as this thread is based on the original question, I am sticking to my first answer.

It's an import. Unless the word imported is removed from the original question.

Looking again at my previous reply its tone seems a bit harsh.

I don't wish this to be the case.

In the interest of clarity I've spoken a bit explicate.

So please bear in mind that I'm only trying to help.

Hugs to everyone.

Badger. :) :)

austingirl

U.S.A. English
    "But it still is technically is a natural resource, right??"

No, it is not technically a natural resource, David is correct.

Here is the definition, according to Webster's II:

natural resource: A necessary or beneficial material source, as of timber or a mineral deposit, occuring in nature.

The key to understanding is paying special attention to the words "source" and "occuring in nature."

In order to be the natural resource, it has to be the "source" of the natural products. The source of the timber, or minerals, is the natural resource, not the timber or minerals themselves. If you receive the timber on a ship, the imported timber is not the "source" nor is it "occuring in nature." It has already been taken from it's source in nature, therefore it is no longer considered a natural resource.

Marc1

Banned
    The key to understanding is paying special attention to the words "source" and "occuring in nature."

In order to be the natural resource, it has to be the "source" of the natural products. The source of the timber, or minerals, is the natural resource, not the timber or minerals themselves. If you receive the timber on a ship, the imported timber is not the "source" nor is it "occuring in nature." It has already been taken from it's source in nature, therefore it is no longer considered a natural resource.
    You are an artist!
    ???
    Natural resource: A necessary or beneficial material source, as of timber or a mineral deposit, occurring in nature.

So you are saying that a natural resource is only a natural resource if it is in his natural state, in situ, undisturbed.

Well that is yet another twist to the definition for green or other political purposes. Natural RESOURCE means it is something we USE. Otherwise you are equating natural resource with NATURE.
    Once extracted it does not cease being a natural RESOURCE.

Yet since ideologies usually lack logic badly and in fact will make you believe that white is black and black is white with total conviction, I bow out of this discussion, not without a smile. :rolleyes:

austingirl

U.S.A. English
    If you wanted to get really technical, you could break it down even further:

natural: 1. Existing in or produced by nature. 2. Of or pertaining to nature.

re: 1. Again, anew.

source: 1. A point of origin.

So, it is the "natural point of origin again and again." I diamond mine is repeatedly a naturally occuring point of origin for diamonds, therefore it is a "natural resource."

austingirl

U.S.A. English
    Marc 1, everything in nature is not a natural resource. A desert is natural, but it is generally not considered a "natural resource" if it does not produce anything of economic value.

I'm not talking about politics or ecology, I'm discussing the definition of words.

austingirl

U.S.A. English
    Marc 1, "natural" does not equal "undisturbed." You are playing with the words, you are committing the fallacy of "equivication" as they say in logic.

leenico

U.S.A. english
    A natural resource is something that is supplied by nature. If you are talking about a specific countries natural resources, than you are talking only about whatever resources originated in that particular country. You cannot include imported natural resources.

Chaucer

US inglés/español
    badger said:
    Hi everyone.

C'mon foreros. I told you by the 4th or 5th post in this thread that you'd all be falling all over yourself to answer this senseless question. For what?

I told Robert Snow, "So what have you been debating? Let us know." Has he? No. He's not going to waste his time.

So don't waste your time, foreros. Why do you own this thing now? You're behaving foolishly. (Please, don''t dwell on "foolishly" for those responding to this. I am not interested.) I wish foreros would stick to productive language issues.

And Badger. In your next post you say you were being harsh. The foreros duped into this thread deserve the tone.

dave

UK - English
    Are you lot still arguing about this in here?!

A natural resource is a natural resource wherever it is, even if it happens to be crude oil in a tanker. End of. :rolleyes:

jamxray

English
    Here's a thought, but I'll answer the question first. Yes, it is a natural resource unitl man does something to change it.

Does anyone have a clue what we (the human race) are doing? In the US, the generation who is in their 30's right now have been raised to be a consumer society, and are raising our children the same way. (By the way, what are we going to leave our children if we don't change?)
    Since we are discussing natural resources, lets start with the by product of crude oil, gasoline. Firstly, does anyone agree that oil disipates heat? If it does, can anyone tell me about the core of the planet? I believe it's very hot. (consider the friction of an orb spinning, how fast is the earth spinning?)
    Now think about global warming. If the planet's core is very hot, and oil disipates heat, don't you think that oil could be considered a sheild? Aren't we sucking that sheid out of the ground, at an alarming rate? We use bullet proof glass, (plexiglass) to stop a bullet, but the glass has to be a certain thickness for it to be effective.
    Then we turn around and burn the material that sheilds the surface, thereby destroying the atmosphere, and depleting the ozone, which is a sheild from the radiation from the sun. Yes nature creates pollution, but it's been doing it for how long?
    Are we still wondering why global temps are rising? It may only be 1/2 of a degree per year, but the ice caps are melting away.
    Thinking about alternatives is very plausible, what about electricity? We have the resources, combined with technology, we don't need to burn, (consume) anything. Horse and buggy is out of the question at this point. Solar power is very usable, so are windmills, and hydroelectric generators. The Mississippi is a very large river, so is the Nile, and many others. We even have nuclear power, although it's not as stable and safe as it could be. I guess this is enough for now.

< Previous | Next >