Navy cap salad

aroohat

Persian
Hello,

I was wondering what the word "salad" means here:

He would emerge from the long, marbled corridor, in full splendor, with that blue-white-blue armband of the duty officer around his left arm, the holstered Parabellum on his right side, dangling from his belt, the Navy cap with its lacquered visor and gilded "salad" above covering his disconcertingly bald head.

This is from Less Than One by Joseph Brodsky

• owlman5

English-US
    It refers to gilded ornamental leaves that adorn his hat, aroohat. I'm not a military retiree or anything like that, but that is a word that people use in military jargon to refer to the those leaves.

aroohat

Persian
    It refers to gilded ornamental leaves that adorn his hat, aroohat. I'm not a military retiree or anything like that, but that is a word that people use in military jargon to refer to the those leaves.
    ّI see. Thank you.

Chasint

English - England
    Like in this picture, I suppose.
    usn_male_adm_cap_55-530_web[1].jpg

owlman5

English-US
    That is indeed a fine picture of salad, Chasint. I had occasional use for the word when I worked at a military surplus store three hundred years ago. I hope that aroohat pops back into this thread to take a look at the photo.

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    When I was in the Navy, they called this visor decoration "scrambled eggs." The illustration in post 4 shows an admiral's cap. Commanders and captains have less gold on their visors. I wasn't in long enough to have any.

< Previous | Next >