Nazi-Occupied and Nazi.... Occupied

Help_Needed_Guy

Farsi
Hello folks. it's from the movie Inglourious Basterds. you know, the first chapter of the film goes like this :

Chapter One: "ONCE UPON A TIME IN . . .
NAZI-OCCUPIED FRANCE"

and at the end of the movie, when most of the Nazis are dead. it goes like this, this time : “ONCE UPON A TIME IN NAZI . . .
OCCUPIED FRANCE.”

so the first one means that all the things are happening in the Nazi-Occupied France (in France, where Nazis are taken the power and are the ones who rule the France). but in the second one, "A time in Nazi.... Occupied France", it should have another meaning, right? can you please explain the second one to me?

Thanks

• Perseas

Greek
    “ONCE UPON A TIME IN NAZI . . .
    OCCUPIED FRANCE.”

I' m not sure, but since NAZI and OCCUPIED are no longer linked by a hyphen, they are not to be read as a unit. In other words, NAZI do not occupy France any longer, but they used to until recently...

Loob

English UK
    Well, I haven't seen the film.

But the only sense I can make of the change is that the film-makers are saying that:

~ at the beginning of the film, France is occupied by Nazis
    ~ at the end, France is Nazi and occupied.

Does that fit, H_N_G?

Help_Needed_Guy

Farsi
    Thank you Perseas. well at the end of the movie, the Nazis are not occupying France anymore. that's for sure. but the second phrase is still "Occupied France" (ending of the second phrase).

Thank you Loob. what do you mean France is Nazi? does it mean that once again a Nazi regime is taking power in France? cause at the end of the film (where the second phrase shows up) most of the Nazis are death.

pops91710

English, AE
    Quentin Tarantino intended for this to be as much a war film as a spaghetti western, and considered titling the movie "Once Upon a Time in Nazi-Occupied France". He gave that title instead to the first chapter of the film.

Ocassionally, when a film ends, alternate titles are shown. I don't think the change in punctuation means anything at all. Just my opinion. I don't think anyone knows for sure, nor would even see the different punctuation or wonder about it.

Help_Needed_Guy

Farsi
    Thank you Pops. but you know, obviously at the end the war is end and Germany surrenders (it's in the script). so the France wouldn't be occupied by Nazis anymore.

pops91710

English, AE
    Thank you Pops. but you know, obviously at the end the war is end and Germany surrenders (it's in the script). so the France wouldn't be occupied by Nazis anymore.
    Naturally. And that's not in the script. It is in the history books!:D Occupied or not, whatever you read on the movie screen really has no special meaning, in my opinion. It is what it is. Looking for a meaning is fruitless and needless. Believe me there is no confusuion by anyone as to who won the war, and who was or was not occupied! It was a hard thing to not notice!

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I can only think that
    Chapter One: "ONCE UPON A TIME IN . . . NAZI-OCCUPIED FRANCE" means what it says and the final version means

“ONCE UPON A TIME IN NAZI . . ." (Wait! I am mistaken! The Nazis are gone! I mean "in) OCCUPIED (by the allies) FRANCE.”

pops91710

English, AE
    I can only think that
    Chapter One: "ONCE UPON A TIME IN . . . NAZI-OCCUPIED FRANCE" means what it says and the final version means

“ONCE UPON A TIME IN NAZI . . ." (Wait! I am mistaken! The Nazis are gone! I mean "in) OCCUPIED (by the allies) FRANCE.”
    Brilliant!!!! I believe that is it! Of course conquered nations are occupied, and liberated nations are, well.........(maybe it was just their way of saying it, albeit not the normal way).

< Previous | Next >