nazywać się

Smsh

Dutch
Hello,

I found this verb listed beneath the explanations for verbs of the type am/asz.

But the example verb is 'czekać', verb which doesn't have the 'się' part. I was wondering how you conjugate 'się', for example with the verb 'nazywać się' ?

Thanks for the help

• jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    Się is invariable nazywam się, nazywasz się, nazywa się, nazywamy się, nazywacie się, nazywają się.

This się is similar to reflexive pronouns (the ones that end in self or selves in English), but are used much more often in Polish than in English. You can also compare it with Dutch reflexive pronouns: ik was me, je wast je, hij wast zich, we wassen ons, jullie wassen je, ze wassen zich, except that się, as I said, doesn't change.

Why się with nazywać? Think of it as I call myself, you call yourself, etc.

przemo84

Hello,

I found this verb listed beneath the explanations for verbs of the type am/asz.

But the example verb is 'czekać', verb which doesn't have the 'się' part. I was wondering how you conjugate 'się', for example with the verb 'nazywać się' ?

Thanks for the help

się is always się - it's indeclinable.

And sometimes it's translated as reflexive but not always

You say:

[ja] nazywam się
    [ty] nazywasz się
    [on/ona/ono] nazywa się
    [my] nazywamy się
    [wy] nazywacie się
    [oni/one] nazywają się

to call - nazywać
    to call oneself - nazywać się/siebie

BezierCurve

"Się" simply marks reflexivness, like "-self" in English or "-zelf" in Dutch. Some verbs are always reflexive, some can be - but not necessarily. Here "nazywać (się)" would work like this:

Nazywam go swoim przyjacielem. -> I call him my friend.
    Nazywam się Bond. -> I call myself Bond. (or, in proper English: My name's Bond.).

Good news: you don't conjugate "się".
    So: (ja) nazywam się, (ty) nazywasz się, etc.

EDIT: Sorry, Przemo, I was slow with my answer, didn't see yours before posting.