ne manqueront pas faire valoir nos droits

leapfrog

English
Could anyone please help me understand the following phrase. I'm not sure what they are trying to say with the negative "ne manqueront"

Comme l'enjeu reste de taille, les procédures d'appel ne manqueront pas pour faire valoir nos droits

"As the stakes are important, the appeals process is bound to call into question our rights"

• leapfrog

English
    Wow, that was quick! Thanks. So
    "As the stakes are important, the appeals process cannot fail to call into question our rights"
    Might be better?

leapfrog

English
    I'm still not sure of the sese they are trying to convey. Wahat do you understand the meaning to be in French?

"As the stakes are important, the appeals process cannot fail to make us assert our rights"

pieanne

Belgium/French
    Oups! Je n'avais pas bien lu!
    Il dit qu'il y aura encore d'autres/suffisamment de procès en appel pour faire valoir (assert) leurs droits

leapfrog

English
    Now it makes sense. Thanks pieanne!

As the stakes are considerable, the appeals process will provide many opportunities to call our rights into question

bh7

Canada; English
    leapfrog, I think the sentence rather means:
    As there is still a lot at stake here, we trust that our case will be upheld on appeal.
    As there is still much at stake here, we trust that our rights can be affirmed on appeal.

pieanne

Belgium/French
    Be careful, the French sentence is "... ne manqueront pas pour faire valoir nos droits", and not "... ne manqueront pas de faire valoir nos droits", meaning there will be plenty of appeal procedures for that.

leapfrog

English
    Thanks again pieanne. I have already submitted the translation as follows:
    As the stakes are considerable, the appeals process will provide many opportunities to call our rights into question

gamone

Australia, English
    No leapfrog, you haven't understood. The expression "faire valoir nos droits" means "to assert our rights", "to obtain what is due to us". Besides, the apparent causality relationship between the two parts of the sentence is fuzzy. The fact that the stakes are high is not exactly the cause of the existence of ample possibilities of appeal. The sense of the sentence is rather: Insofar as the stakes are high, we should exploit every possibility of appeal in order to assert our rights.

bh7

Canada; English
    Sorry folks, one of my messages got inexplicably truncated. Pieanne [post #10] is of course right; so I think gamone's suggestion in post #13 provides an elegant and accurate translation of the original sentence.

< Previous | Next >