Neapolitan: Amm’ ’a scassà i ciessi

orca

Israel, Hebrew
Ciao members,

Does anyone speak Napolitan?...
I'm translating La paranza dei bambini, by Roberto Saviano to Hebrew and this phrase appears a couple of times and is even a name of a whole chapter. The English translation leaves this title untranslated as a chapters' name, but on another occasion translates it like this:
– Denti’, – disse Maraja, – piazza Principe Umberto come
la vedi?
– Come la vedo, Maraja? Amm’ ’a scassà i ciessi!

“What do I think about it, Maraja? Amm’ ’a scassà i ciessi! We need to bust everyone else’s chops.”

[Saviano, Roberto. The Piranhas (Kindle Locations 4519-4520). Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Kindle Edition.]

The context is a young gang in Naples, the boss distributes the drug markets in town to his men.

I would like to get the exact meaning of the phrase, what every word mean, or if it's a set-phrase.

Grazie!

• Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    I'm not expert of Neapolitan, but literally it sounds like :

amm'a - let's go to
    scassà - break, smash
    i ciessi - the WC

"ciessi" is the same of the Italian "cessi", plural of "cesso", vulgar word for "WC"

orca

Israel, Hebrew
    Thanks. Now is there any street-meaning that can be related to drugs? Does the word Cessi can mean drugs? Like "shit" in English, say? The English translation, "bust chops" is a slang for "sell drugs", from what I saw in the dictionary. So is it correct? Or does the boy say something like, "let's go break some balls"?

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    Perhaps they were literally going to vandalize the toilets in some public area.

But I'm not sure, I've never read the book. Let's wait some Neapolitan for the correct answer.

orca

Israel, Hebrew
    If you care to elaborate on the subject, your examples now actually confuse me. I forgot about them, and now I see that this expression has more than one meaning. In these examples, it's something positive (the first one) and then in the other one - I can't begin to think how to translate it. Can you?

< Previous | Next >