Neapolitan: assett

friasc

Eng, Sp (USA)
Greetings forum. I recently noticed that in TV shows and films set in East Coast Italian American communities, characters will often say "assètt" (my attempt at transcription) to invite someone into their home or offer a seat. My guess is that this originally comes from a Neapolitan or other regional equivalent for 'siediti', or perhaps a past participle implying an imperative. Am I more or less correct? I'm also curious whether this expression simply means 'take a seat', or whether it has a larger meaning, in the vein of 'make yourself comfortable' or 'installe-toi' in French.

• Pietruzzo

Italian
    My guess is that this originally comes from a Neapolitan or other regional equivalent for 'siediti',
    Your guess is right but you need to add a reflexive pronoun-- I don't know the Neapolitan form but where I live they would say " 'ssèttate". Although being an imperative it's more an invitation to have a seat and make oneself comfortable, as you said.

Last edited:

Al.ba

Italian
    Your guess is right but you need to add a reflexive pronoun-- I don't know the Neapolitan form but where I live they would say " 'ssèttate". Although being an imperative it's more an invitation to have a seat and make oneself comfortable, as you said.
    Totally agree! "Assiettete" is the correct form in Neapolitan.

< Previous | Next >