Neapolitan: Scungili

martiex2

American
I'm doing a play and one of the characters is from Brooklyn and Italian. The word "Scungili" is used. Can anyone tell me what it means and how it is pronounced? Thanks!

• kari

Italian - Italy
    "Scungili" doesn't exist in italian vocabulary and it doesn't seem neither a slang expression.
    I find this on google:
    "SCUNGILI CRIME FAMILY"
    Maybe somebody else could say more.

EvanC

NY
    USA-English
    martiex2 said:
    I'm doing a play and one of the characters is from Brooklyn and Italian. The word "Scungili" is used. Can anyone tell me what it means and how it is pronounced? Thanks!
    Martiex2,
    Sorry I can't tell you what "scungili" means, but I can help with the pronounciation. It's somthing like this: scoon-jee-lee
    I hope that helps,
    Evan C

Silvia

Italian
    Hi mmb,

welcome to the WR Forums.

As you can see, this very same question has already been asked.

mbb

usa english
    Thank you for your answer. I'm still wondering how it's used as a word in slang? Does it mean screwy or crazy or wiggly worm. My husband uses this word from time to time. Mostly directed at our little dog. He did tell me that it was a "fish." My dog adores him and I think this is a term of endearment. Thanks for your answer -- mille grazie - MBB

babbo

USA English
    Scungili are snails. My Dad told me they were periwinkle. My Family comes from Provincia di Potenza. Everyone knows the word. And it is a term of endearment.

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    I checked in a Neapolitan-Italian dictionary. The word comes from Latin "exconcilum" and refers to a shellfish. It is also spelled "scunciglio". It also means "someone/something ugly and small" so I guess it could be used as a jocular term of endearment.

Carlo

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    moodywop said:
    It is also spelled "scunciglio". It also means "someone/something ugly and small" so I guess it could be used as a jocular term of endearment.Carlo
    Good heavens-- surely this couldn't have anything to do with the etymology of scugnizzi? They are kinda like barnacles sometimes.

V52

Member Emeritus
    Italy Italian
    Hi
    I guess the word "scungili" can be related to the same root of italian verb "nascondere" "nascondersi" and definitely all kinds of snails hide themselves...
    Vittorio

alfajor

el castellano argentino, italiano, English
    I checked in a Neapolitan-Italian dictionary. The word comes from Latin "exconcilum" and refers to a shellfish. It is also spelled "scunciglio". It also means "someone/something ugly and small" so I guess it could be used as a jocular term of endearment.

Carlo

scunciglio
    (lat. exconcilium): s.m. itt. "calcinello (tipo di conchiglia); sconquasso, disordine, guasto)" |
    trasl. "tipo dal fisico assai brutto, piccolo, deforme, sgobbato"

Dizionario dialettale napoletano di Antonio Altamura

«I molluschi sono parte integrante della cucina tradizionale napoletana. Proprio a Napoli si privilegiano le 'maruzze', mentre Pompei e la provincia puntano sugli 'scungilli' (in italiano sconcigli o murice), molluschi amati già dagli antichi Romani.»

Maruzza o “sconciglio”: le origini e la storia dei molluschi

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >