near the bank - near to the bank

< Previous | Next >

Inesjrc

Peru
thank you for your replies but I still need more information

What is the difference between saying

the school is near the bank

the school is near TO the bank

that's my question, the difference between near and near to referring to places.

The other was about would and used to but in past, not in present because I know that in present is like having a habit.

And the last one about have been to and have been in, somebody told me that the difference is when the person is still in the place or not:

E.g. How long have you been in Peru? It means that the turist (for example) is still in Peru. and the other: Have you been to Peru? is about the experience but the person isn't in Peru at the moment, is just a question about any time in his/her life..

Thanks

• GenJen54

USA - English
    Hola Ines,

Welcome to the WR Forums! We're glad to have you here.

May I suggest you please read the forum rules. They can be found here. Per the rules, it is best to ask only one question per thread, and put the actual name of your question in your thread. That way, forum members can get to your questions faster.

the school is near the bank :tick:

the school is near TO the bank :cross:

The school is near to the bank is not correct because the words "to" and "near" are both prepositions and you do not need two prepositions to describe where the school is.

I will go ahead and answer your last question, although I suggest you start two new threads for your questions No. 2 and 3.

How long have you been in Peru?
    It means that the turist (for example) is still in Peru. :tick: Yes, this is correct, although the amount of time is not specified or necessary. For example, the tourist could answer: I have been in Peru for two weeks/two days/two hours.

and the other: Have you been to Peru? is about the experience but the person isn't in Peru at the moment, is just a question about any time in his/her life..:tick: Yes. This is also correct.
    Good luck!

< Previous | Next >