near view (and other optical words)

Caroline

French
looking for optical words in english for my presentation in 2 hours.
What term do you use to call people who have troubles with near view (astigmate in french). Thank you very much

• Rob625

English - England
    In english the medical term for short sight is myopia. Myopic is both an adjective and a noun (= person with myopia).

The opposite is presbyopia.

Astigmatism is the condition where focal length is different in different directions. Astigmatic is also both an adjective and a noun (= person with astigmatism).

Lucas

France, français
    Sorry Valérie, myopia is (as said by Rob) short sight, that is to say bad remote view. (I hope I don't seem to correct you every time :D.)

Bad short view is called hypermétropie when due to the eye shape (as myopia is), and is called presbytie when due to eyes aging.

Astigmatism alters both short and long (?) sight.

valerie

France, French & Spanish
    Lucas said:
    Sorry Valérie, myopia is (as said by Rob) short sight, that is to say bad remote view. (I hope I don't seem to correct you every time :D.)

Yes I thing you actually seem... :mad: ;)

But I have to confess that you are (almost) always right :eek:

deGerlaise

Canada - English
    The usual usage is as follows:

'I went to the optometrist and his tests indicated that I'm short-sighted in my left eye.' This means that he is unable to see objects at a distance. You can also say 'near-sighted'.

'My sister is far-sighted and she'll need glasses.' She can't see things which are close. Long-sighted is not usual usage. :)