......... neck region the spinal cord thickens.

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
......... neck region the spinal cord thickens.
A. The point above just the
B. It is at the point just above
C. At a point just above the (Answer Key)
D. It is just a point above where

Source: Iran University Entrance Examination for Master of Arts students.

Hello,
This is a really difficult test. Can option A work in the above test?
I'll be glad if you give me some guidance on this.

Thank you.

• ewie

English English
    No, sorry (again): only C is correct. Just (= 'directly'/'immediately') always comes before a preposition: just above, just below, just to the right of ...

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    No, sorry (again): only C is correct. Just (= 'directly'/'immediately') always comes before a preposition: just above, just below, just to the right of ...
    Thank you for answering.
    recently a native English speaker told me:
    That said, this is a terrible question. The cervical (neck) spinal cord is thicker than the rest, but that is true throughout the cervical (neck) area. The use of "above the neck region" is incorrect.
    Do you agree with him?

Thank you.

Myridon

English - US
    "Neck region" is very vague. Is the point where the spinal cord transitions into the brain stem above or below the neck "region"? I think that most of the head is in the general region of the neck. ;) As a lay person, I'd be willing to say there is no spinal cord above the neck "region".
    However, A is not grammatically correct even if "just" and "above" are swapped.
    The point (just above the neck region) the spinal cord thickens. :cross: Noun, noun, verb? Noun, relative clause, no-verb?
    The point just above the neck region where the spinal cord thickens is called the brain stem.

< Previous | Next >