Need help in understand - 'by insulting his way'

< Previous | Next >

rak617

India - English
Hi,
Can someone please explain me what this phrase means in below context - by insulting his way

John has exploited the discontent by insulting his way to the front of the pack

Thanks!

• srk

English - US
    Welcome to the forum, rak.

That isn't much context. Can you provide more? Where did you see this sentence?

It makes me think of the current campaign for the presidency in the US. Many voters are discontent with their circumstances and blame members of the political establishment. They may also be angry with the members of the pack of candidates running. A member of the pack can exploit this anger by insulting the other members. If the content of the insult coincides with the substance of the discontent, it can move a candidate forward in the polls.

rak617

India - English
    Welcome to the forum, rak.

That isn't much context. Can you provide more? Where did you see this sentence?

It makes me think of the current campaign for the presidency in the US. Many voters are discontent with their circumstances and blame members of the political establishment. They may also be angry with the members of the pack of candidates running. A member of the pack can exploit this anger by insulting the other members. If the content of the insult coincides with the substance of the discontent, it can move a candidate forward in the polls.
    This exactly answers my question. Thanks a lot for letting me understand this reference. You are awesome.

rak617

India - English
    Here is the full passage from Economist
    ------------------
    This optimistic scenario depends on converting today’s antagonism into a force for change. The primaries have made clear that a large share of American voters are angry: angry with their own side’s representatives, angry with their opponents and angry with the world.

So far, that anger has been channelled into divisiveness. On the right, Mr Trump has exploited the discontent by insulting his way to the front of the pack, stirring up racial resentment as he goes, delighting crowds with a list of proposals that run from the unethical to the unworkable. On parts of the left, the rage is more polite but, particularly where it is aimed at Wall Street, no less deeply felt.

< Previous | Next >