Need help translating a tombstone

bjragucci

English
I need help translating a tombstone, I think that it is Romanian, can you help me?

Thanks,
bjragucci

Attachments

• DSCN0877.JPG
    DSCN0877.JPG
    476 KB · Views: 191
  • féebleue

Romanian
    Hello,

Yes, it's in Romanian and it goes more or less like this:

• First 4 lines: Aici odihnește-n Domnul neuitații noștri fii --> Here rest in the Lord our unforgotten children
    • Next 2 lines: Ioan Maria Ana Elisabeta --> these are the names of the children
    • Next 3 lines: Năs. A. 1907 Sep. 2 Rep. Anul 1907 Dec. 7-lea --> Born on September 2, 1907, Died on December 7, 1907
    • Last line: Fie-le țărîna --> May they rest in peace
    May I ask what is the story behind this? Why do you need the translation of a Romanian tombstone from over 100 years ago? :) It is a quite strange tombstone, by the way, as it is not clear how many children there are. Ioan could be their last name, and the three other names could belong to three deceased daughters. Or Ioan could also be the name of a deceased son. Also, there may be less than three daughters if they had multiple names. And why is there only one date of birth/death? Were they twins/triplets/quadruplets who sadly didn't survive more than three months? Or did the other dates not fit on the small tombstone? I would love to know the story and where this tombstone is from.

Sorry about the ranting, I just like visiting old cemeteries, looking at tombstones from centuries ago and imagine who those people were :)

bjragucci

English
    Thank you so much for the translation! My only problem is that it doesn't give a surname for the children! Unless it's at the top and unreadable.
    My sister and I are going through the cemetery records for the Alliance City Cemetery in Alliance, Ohio. We have photographed all of the records and are going through them and putting the people on Find A Grave for those who are doing genealogy. We are also photographing the tombstones for the entire cemetery and putting the photos on there too. The cemetery records are not all that good, especially the farther back you go. We have found a number of Romanian tombstones, so I may be asking for more translations as we run into them! The cemetery records say that an Elizabeth Pofarod is buried by or next to that stone. A general internet search does not come up with anyone with that surname, though there are some with the surname Poparad, spelling wasn't the best in the cemetery records! My genealogical resources so far can't find anything about her. I had also wondered if the names of the parents were on the stone because they sometimes do that with children's stones. We may have to scour the local newspaper to see if there is anything about them in it.
    Thank you again for your help!

naicul

Romanian
    Well, "neuitații noștri fii" is more like "our unforgotten sons". But only Ioan is a boy's name. They could also have written the word for "sons" because it's shorter than the one for "children", which is "copii".
    Elisabeta could be the Elizabeth from the records.
    Also, Pofarod doesn't sound too Romanian, Poparad is more like it. But the person who registered it might have written it the way they heard it.

robbie_SWE

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    Just a thought, and it might be a long shot – couldn't fii be the plural form of the popular and dated fie = "daughter?

robbie_SWE

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    Interesting thought - sg. fie / pl. fii - but there is the possessive pronoun nostri linked to fii which should be noastre then, right?

f.

You're of course right and it adds to making the tombstone even more confusing. Could it be a short form for Ioana Maria = Ioan-Maria?

Zareza

Romanian
    I had also wondered if the names of the parents were on the stone because they sometimes do that with children's stones.

Between Ana and Lisabeta there is a letter: S (?) from soție (wife) ?

Ioan Maria Ana could be triplets ?

bjragucci, some news about?

danielstan

Romanian - Romania
    The letter between Ana and Lisabeta is E, thus it reads:
    Ana Elisabeta

The family name Poparad must be from pre-1918 Transylvania, where Hungarian civil authorities used to eliminate the final 'u' from Romanian surnames. In this case: Poparad = Poparadu = Popa Radu ("the priest Radu").

I had a colleague from Târgu Mureș with the surname Rad and he told me his grandfather had the real surname Radu, but in the birth certificate was spelled Rad (before 1918).