`need to have achieved.....'

Microctg

India
Can anyone here pls help me understand the part of the following sentence by paraphrasing?

If you want to apply to Oxford, you need to have achieved -or expect to obtain- one of the following qualifications with the grades shown, or another equivalent.

I tried it this way: `it is needed that you have achieved -or expect to obtain- one of the following......' OR `it needs that you have achieved....'

Which one is correct?

Thanks to aides.

• Copyright

American English
    We don't use "it is needed that" or "it needs that" in standard English, but I am reminded of "doing the needful" in Indian English, so your construction doesn't surprise me. Just use "you need to have achieved" in this case and remember the construction.

Another way to write the original is just to drop "achieved": If you want to apply to Oxford, you need to have – or expect to obtain – one of the following qualifications with the grades shown, or another equivalent.

Microctg

India
    We don't use "it is needed that" or "it needs that" in standard English, but I am reminded of "doing the needful" in Indian English, so your construction doesn't surprise me. Just use "you need to have achieved" in this case and remember the construction.

Another way to write the original is just to drop "achieved": If you want to apply to Oxford, you need to have – or expect to obtain – one of the following qualifications with the grades shown, or another equivalent.
    Thank you ever so.

< Previous | Next >