neglected her studies for too long for tutoring to be able to salvage

Jin akashini

vietnamese
Hi every one,

I would like to ask you about "that the other had neglected her studies for too long for tutoring to be able to salvage the situation " in this context ?

"Two were lower achievers taking a different examination that catered for that level, Paper IIB, who felt neglected because the teacher devoted most lessons to the majority who were taking the more demanding Paper IIA. The teacher was aware that both students were receiving extra tutoring and felt that in for one it could be a good investment but that the other had neglected her studies for too long for tutoring to be able to salvage the situation. In the event, neither of them passed;
but Gauci and Wetz (2009: 68) seemed convincing when stating that in the circumstances of relative neglect by the teacher, this pair of students ‘‘could ill-afford not to attend private tuition that was specifically tailored for them."

Does red sentence mean that one lower achiever did not follow his teacher's lessons; in stead of that, he only focuses on tutoring and as a result, his teacher could not help him (be able to salvage the situation).

The sentence is drawn from a document named "The impact of shadow education on student academic achievement: Why the research is inconclusive and what can be done about it". And below is the link for your more information.

The impact of shadow education on student academic achievement: Why the research is inconclusive and what can be done about it.

Thanks,

• Copyright

American English
    The student had neglected regular classroom studies for so long that tutoring came too late to make up for lost ground.

Jin akashini

vietnamese
    Oh, I see your point is "the student had neglected regular classroom studies for so long while tutoring came too late; then tutoring can not help him to salvage the situation" ?

Copyright

American English
    Perfect! If I may rephrase your rephrase a bit: "... the student had neglected regular classroom studies for so long that when tutoring began it was too late to salvage the student's situation."

< Previous | Next >