Negozi scintillanti

sheryl.709

English-American
Hello everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with an adequate translation for "negozi scintillanti" in the following sentence, it's in a post for an architectural magazine:

Un’area impreziosita da lussuose imbarcazioni, raffinati ristoranti e negozi scintillanti.

My attempt, which I'm not satisfied with:

An area graced by luxury vessels, fine restaurants and glittering shops.

The trouble is that in Italian "scintillanti" does not refer to shops with lights, or shiny clean windows. It's more along the lines of "eye-catching", in some cases "luxury", but I'm already using it in the sentence.

Any suggestions?

• Saoul

Italian
    I think it's only about the fact that they're shiny, pretty and sell expensive products. There's no way of knowing with so little context.

sheryl.709

English-American
    Yes, you're right Saoul, that's what they're talking about. Unfortunately, that's all the context I've got, that's why I'm trying to find a very "general" term as nowhere do they specify the type of shop. It's only a general description of the area.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I think your original "glittering" conveys the right idea in English: it's often used completely metaphorically to mean exactly "eye-catching / luxury" and it wouldn't occur to me to take it literally in this context. For what it's worth, I like it better than "opulent," which always sounds like a ponderous red-velvet-and-oak kind of luxury to me, rather than a sparkling kind of luxury. :)

sheryl.709

English-American
    I think your original "glittering" conveys the right idea in English: it's often used completely metaphorically to mean exactly "eye-catching / luxury" and it wouldn't occur to me to take it literally in this context. For what it's worth, I like it better than "opulent," which always sounds like a ponderous red-velvet-and-oak kind of luxury to me, rather than a sparkling kind of luxury. :)

Thanks theartichoke! Good to know I wasn't that far off. :)

sheryl.709

English-American
    Thank you all for your suggestions, in the end I left the sentence as is with "glittering". :)