<neighbor's><neighboring> house

Mnemon

Persian - پارسی - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
John's father climbed up the ladder to peep the <neighbor's house><neighboring house> suddenly the ladder slid and he slid off the ladder.

- Is there any difference between the two? Can they be used interchangeably?

Last edited:
  • sdgraham

USA English
    Your sentences are rife with errors, but we don't proofread here, sorry.
    As far as neighbor goes, the house to the east of me is the neighboring house because it's right there, outside my window.
    It's not my neighbor's house however, because nobody lives there. Therefore I have no neighbor there. (It's listed for sale)

sound shift

English - England
    Yes, there is a difference, so no, they are not interchangeable.

"The neighbor's house": The house that belonged to the neighbor. Whose neighbor in this case? Possibly, John's father's neighbor (the person who lived next door to John's father), possibly John's neighbor, possibly someone else's neighbor. It depends on the context.

"The neighboring house": The next house. Not necessarily the next house to the one inhabited by the protagonist.

Myridon

English - US
    Thanks.
    Does it mean that my neighbor's house should always be within my neighboring houses?
    It is possible that your neighbor owns another house that is not by your house. With context, you can refer to that house as a house belonging to your neighbor, i.e. your neighbor's house. In the spring, I like to borrow my neighbor's house in Palm Springs.

Packard

USA, English
    Another way to express this is "a neighboring house" represents a geographical proximity, while a "neighbor's house" denotes ownership.

< Previous | Next >