Neither - nor?

drestrepoa

Spanish-Colombia
Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble using "neither" and "nor" in this sentence. I would really appreciate any help from you.
Thanks in advance,
David

"Indeed, when territorial states do not recognize the character of insurgent to members of an armed group, it means they are not willing to accept NEITHER the intervention of the UN NOR the application of the ECH."

• Ceremoniar

USA
    American English
    Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble using "neither" and "nor" in this sentence. I would really appreciate any help from you.
    Thanks in advance,
    David

"Indeed, when territorial states do not recognize the character of insurgent to members of an armed group, it means they are not willing to accept NEITHER the intervention of the UN NOR the application of the ECH."
    I am not clear about the first part of the sentence, from the words character to members. Those will need to be first addressed. After that there are options, to wit:

"Indeed, when territorial states do not recognize the character of insurgent to members of an armed group, it means they are unwilling to accept EITHER the intervention of the UN, OR the application of the ECH."

Another possibility:

"Indeed, when territorial states do not recognize the character of insurgent to members of an armed group, it means they are [deleted] willing to accept NEITHER the intervention of the UN, NOR the application of the ECH.

Of course, the unncessary blocks of capital letters also require removal, but I have left them here, as they appeared in the original. I prefer the first method.

mplsray

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
    David

If the clause beginning with "it means they" is meant to indicate that the states will not accept both things, then there are two ways to express it:

"it means they are not willing to accept either the intervention of the UN or the application of the ECH."

or

"it means they are willing to accept neither the intervention of the UN nor the application of the ECH."

< Previous | Next >