neither .... nor

< Previous | Next >

mtr

español - Argentina
Hi,

I always have doubts concerning the use of "neither (...) nor", specially because I feel I need to repeat the verb. Fopr example, in this sentence:

"they neither meet criteria to be considered cases of semantic memories nor to be episodic memories"

Is it ok? Or should I write: : "they neither meet criteria to be considered cases of semantic memories nor the criteria to be considered as episodic memories"?

Thanks!

• The Newt

English - US
    "They don't meet the criteria to be considered cases either of semantic memories or of episodic memories" is one alternative.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Note that you are placing your "neither" and your "nor" in the wrong places. Anything that you want to have apply to both of the things being mentioned has to come before the word neither. In your case, you want "meet criteria" to apply to both, but by placing it after "neither", it only applies to the first, and the "nor" phrase ends up having no verb at all. While I like the Newt's suggestion much better, if you insisted on keeping "neither...nor", you could say something like "because they do not meet the necessary criteria, these cases are considered neither semantic memories nor episodic memories."

< Previous | Next >