neither (the?) time nor (the?) money to go on holiday

Couch Tomato

Russian & Dutch
From English Grammar in Use:

Write sentences with both ... and / neither ... nor ... / either ... or ... .

I haven't got time to go on holiday. And I don't have the money.

I have neither time nor money to go on holiday.

But the key gives, 'I have neither the time nor the money to go on holiday.'

Do we really need the articles here? It sounds alright without the articles too.

Thank you in advance.

• eyeofhorus

English - Ireland
    I think it sounds better with the articles. Imagine that our concept of 'going on holiday' requires a certain (minimum) amount of time and money. Unless we have that particular budget, we would not be able to go.

This implies "the time and the money required".

djmc

English - United Kingdom
    It sounds right with the article before, on the other hand it sounds right without. It would be slightly more gnomic without as in "neither fish nor fowl nor good red herring".

JustKate

I would invariably say "neither the time nor the money," and I think it would sound a bit odd to me - though perfectly understandable, of course - if I heard someone else say "neither time nor money." I'm not sure there is any logical reason for this. Perhaps it's because when you're talking about money and time for a very specific purpose, it's natural to think of them as that particular chunk of time and that particular chunk of money, even if they are not actually in existance as yet, and that's why the definite article is used.