nel passare

V132

Italian
Hello everybody, while translating something about chemistry I have some doubts:eek:. For ex. the following sentence:

"...abbassamento della pressione di vapore del solvente nel passare da solvente puro a soluzione."

My attempt is (but I'm not sure):confused:

"...vapor pressure drop by passing from pure solvent to solution."

Does this make any sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • AlabamaBoy

American English
    I am not sure that I would say that a solvent "goes into solution." The solute goes into solution.

this is a literal translation:
    ... a drop in vapor pressure with the change from a pure solvent to a solution...

But I don't think it works well. I would really say:

... a drop in vapor pressure of a pure solvent as a solute is introduced, producing a solution...

elemika

Russian
    I agree with K_georgiadis,

because the solvent is vaporized from the pure liqiud phase, then it goes to some solution and hence the vapor pressure drops (because it dissolves)...

Sorry, AlabamaBoy, but why do you think that the solvent can't be added to the solution? You have sugar in your glass and you add water ... and water is a solvent:)

AlabamaBoy

American English
    why do you think that the solvent can't be added to the solution?
    (I was a chemistry major.) You can ADD solvent to a solution, but you don't say that solvent GOES INTO solution.;) (Although you might say that it goes into a solution.) But these options do not work with the sentence in question. Something going into solution (no "a" in front of solution) is always a solute.

because the solvent is vaporized
    I am sorry, this does not make sense. The solvent is not vaporized, but its equilibrium vapor pressure decreases, meaning it is less likely to evaporate, not more.

EDIT: For example, consider the solvent is water and the solute is sugar: as sugar is added to the water (solvent), the vapor pressure of the (liquid) water drops as it changes from a pure solvent (water) to a solution (sugar-water)..... (The pratical upshot of this is that the boiling point of the sugar-water is at a higher temperature than that of the water alone.)

Last edited:

elemika

Russian
    ... a drop in vapor pressure of a pure solvent as a solute is introduced, producing a solution...

Maybe, it was my mistake, but I was sure that we have combination of two connected vessels. In the first one the pure solvent is vaporized and the vapor goes into the second vessel with some solution. Here the vapor is absorbed and so the pressure drops.
    Well, if we discuss the vapor equillibrium, we have another picture. Of course the partial pressure of the solvent drops when a solute is introduced (according to the first Raoult's law). I didn't think about it. Anyway, little more context would help to understand which problem we discuss...;)

Well, if it's about partial pressure values, maybe we could translate this part of the sentence as following:
    "...abbassamento della pressione di vapore del solvente nel passare da solvente puro a soluzione."
    "...drop of solvent vapor pressure while passing from the pure solvent to a solution" (I'm not sure about "while passing" = at transition?)

Last edited:

V132

Italian
    Hello and thanks so much for your help :).
    Can this extra "clue" help to understand the context? Before "abbassamento della pressione di vapore del solvente nel passare da solvente puro a soluzione" there is written "proprietà colligative" that I have translated with "colligative properties".
    Nothing to add unfortunately because this is just a list of things to study at university. In any case I add the topic after, too.
    So:

"Proprietà colligative:abbassamento della pressione di vapore del solvente nel passare da solvente puro a soluzione. Abbassamento della temperatura di congelamento e innalzamento della temperatura di ebollizione di una soluzione.

And this is my attempt:

"Colligative properties: a drop in vapor pressure of pure solvent as a solute is introduced. Freezing-point depression and boiling point elevation of a solution."

Thank you :)

elemika

Russian
    Grazie,
    "proprietà colligative" e' davvero una chiave!!!
    Cosi', AlabamaBoy ha raggione senza dubbi :D !

"Colligative properties: a drop in vapor pressure of pure solvent as a solute is introduced. Freezing-point depression and boiling point elevation of a solution.":thumbsup: