Nem jött velünk, mert akkor épp beteg volt.

< Previous | Next >

wanipa

deutsch - deutschland
Szia!

I'd like to know what "épp" means in the following sentence.

Nem jött velünk, mert akkor épp beteg volt.

Is "akkor épp" an fixed expression?

Thanks!

• Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Épp (or its longer form: éppen) means "just (then)" in this sentence.
    (I put the then in brackets because just refers to time in this sentence. "Exactly at that period of time/moment".)

So the sentence goes:
    He didn't come with us because he was ill then*.
    Just then is not necessary in the English sentence.
    Probably one could also say: ... because he happened to be ill.

*Edited after your answer: Sorry, I missed out the translation of akkor. But the reason for that is also that it is not really necessary in the English sentence... (It shows to what extent "épp akkor" forms a nice pair in the native speaker's mind. But of course, they can be separated.)

Last edited:

wanipa

deutsch - deutschland
    Thanks!

Is the sentence still correct if I omit the word "épp"?

Do I have to omit "akkor" as well if I omit "épp"?

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    No :oops:, you can use either words (akkor or épp) independently from one another. (Sorry, I missed that from the answer above. Now edited.)

They don't necessarily go together (although they go very well together here*) but (interestingly enough) even if you just used épp (= without akkor), it would be obvious that it refers to the time/period we are talking about. (And vice versa.)

*épp: you can use it with other time expressions (épp most - just now, épp az előbb - just a minute ago) or other words you want to emphasize (épp ő - exactly him/her, épp ezért - exactly because of this, épp nem - actually, no(t), etc.) (Always preceding the word it refers to.)

Last edited:

wanipa

deutsch - deutschland
    Thanks for the clear replies to both topics!

Wish you a nice weekend!

< Previous | Next >