"neon starbursts"

< Previous | Next >

sleepymarmot

Italy - Italian
Hi everybody,
I've run into a word I can't understand.
I know that these "neon starbursts" are something like illuminated signs hung on a wall. But what's the exact meaning of "starbursts"?
Could someone help me? It's AE.
Thanks a lot.
Marmot

• Matching Mole

England, English
    It's not exclusively AE. "A pattern of lines or rays radiating from a central point." Oxford English Dictionary (British).

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello marmot, and welcome.
    Good to see another furry mammal here.
    Replies above look good to me too, but it would help if you could give us the sentence.

sleepymarmot

Italy - Italian
    Hello marmot, and welcome.
    Good to see another furry mammal here.
    Replies above look good to me too, but it would help if you could give us the sentence.
    Thank you A-Word-Lover and Matching Mole for your explanations, and hello furry mammal mate. I don't know if the sentence can be useful, but here it is:

"The neon starbursts on the exterior of the bowling alley were added by the production designers for filming."
    Marmot

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It is possible that these are starburst patterns painted or stuck onto the outside of the bowling alley - probably not lights. The "neon" reference suggesting fluorescent colours rather than neon lights.
    HERE is one kind of starburst shape - definitely not neon. HERE is another one.

< Previous | Next >