neque in toto orbi alicui nationi inservimus

< Previous | Next >
  • Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Hi, I can give you some translations and certain cases, but in compound, it’s too hard for me:
    Neque = not at all
    In = in
    Toto = all (ablative, singular)
    Orbi = either he is robbed, or of the orphan (genitive, singular), or the orphans (nominative, plural)
    Alicui = whoever (relative pronoun)
    Nationi = of the nation (dative, singular)
    Inservimus = we obey so.’s (in this case: their) wishes

Leopold

España - Español
    We don't serve any nation in the world.

That's how i'd translated it, but i've almost forgotten all my latin and besides i have no dictionaries. :)

L.

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    If there was a preceding negative sentence and "alicui" is "aliqui", I'd propose again:
    Nor are we subservient to any nation all over the world.

holiday

United States English
    The piece reads Until the middle of the eighteenth century, they would have all agreed with the Dutch Jew who said: "Neque in toto orbi alicui nationi inservimus," and neither then nor later would they have understood fully the answer of the "learned Christian" who replied" "But this means happiness only for a few. The people considered as a corpo [sic] is hunted everywhere, has no self government, is subject to foreign rule, has no power and no dignity, and wanders all over the world, a stranger everywhere."

Thanks for your replies. They are very helpful.

Focalist

European Union, English
    holiday said:
    the Dutch Jew who said: "Neque in toto orbi alicui nationi inservimus,"
    He seems to be mentioned here, too:
    Do sredine osamnaestog veka, oni bi se svi složili sa holandskim Jevrejinom koji ke rekao: "Neque in toto orbi alicui nationi inservimus" i ni tada ni kasnije ne bi u potpunosti razumeli odgovor učenog hrišćanina koji je rekao: Ali to zanči sreču samo za nekolicinu.
    Anyone here read Croatian?

F

Focalist

European Union, English
    After giving it much thought, I've concluded that that bit of Croatian says:

Until the middle of the eighteenth century, they would have all agreed with the Dutch Jew who said: "Neque in toto orbi alicui nationi inservimus," and neither then nor later would they have understood fully the answer of the learned Christian who replied: But this means happiness only for a few.

Now how come none of the rest of you spotted that earlier? :)

F

< Previous | Next >