neque vs. neve

< Previous | Next >

UkrainianPolyglot

Ukrainian native, but English better
Hi, as I've been reading Latin (particularly the Gallic Wars), I have come across a peculiar word "neve" which Caesar seems to use frequently, and I am very curious to know the exact grammatical/etymological difference between "neque/nec" and "neve/neu". They appear to be translated identically and my dictionary (Lewis & Short) isn't very helpful either.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Neve / neu is used as a conjunction with final clauses (purpose clauses and prohibitions).

Caesar ad Lingonas litteras nuntiosque misit, ne eos frumento neve alia re iuvarent: [Caes. B. G. 1.26.6]

Caesar sent a letters and messengers to the Lingones [ordering] that they should not help them [=the fleeing enemy] with grain nor with anything else.​

Nec/neque is use for consecutive clauses (result clauses).

Gallis magno ad pugnam erat impedimento quod pluribus eorum scutis uno ictu pilorum transfixis et conligatis, cum ferrum se inflexisset, neque evellere neque sinistra impedita satis commode pugnare poterant, [Caes. B. G. 1.25.3]

It was a great impediment to the Gauls that with many of their shields pierced through and drawn together by one blow of a javelin, the iron having bent back on itself, they could neither draw it out, nor, with their left hand impeded, fight effectively enough.​

< Previous | Next >