nerves are on fire

< Previous | Next >

omarow

Turkiye - Turkish
Hello everyone,

What exactly does it mean when I say "my nerves are on fire"? Does it mean I'm feeling hot? Or edgy? Or thrilled?

• Greyfriar

Hello,

I haven't heard this saying but a similar one in BE is 'my nerves are frayed'; also - 'I'm all het up', I'm a nervous wreck, I'm on edge, my nerves are at screaming pitch.

In conclusion, it means you simply can't relax because of nervous tension.

That's the emotional side. You might have severe pain somewhere and say that the nerves there feel as if they are on fire.

omarow

Turkiye - Turkish
    Thanks Greyfriar.

What I was looking for was the emotional side. Thanks a million.

Biffo

English - England
    Like Greyfriar, I have never heard the expression before. A Google search convinces me that it refers to physical pain and has nothing to do with emotions.

omarow - Did you invent the phrase or did you see it somewhere - if so where?

omarow

Turkiye - Turkish
    Hi Biffo,

I didn't invent it. I saw in Sins and Needles by Karina Halle. It goes like this in the original: "My nerves were on fire. Everything was on fire."

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    To me, without further context, it would mean that the speaker is suffering from some form of neuralgia. Various physical conditions involving nerves could be thus described. Is there context that tells you the speaker is frightened or anxious, that her pain is purely emotional? (You're permitted to quote up to a total of four sentences from the source. If your source is online, a link may be helpful.)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The link is indeed helpful. It's an excerpt from a typical example of the genre known as the Gothic novel, a dreadful form of literature I gather is still popular in some circles. Your quote is the author's way of saying that the speaker finds herself sexually aroused.

< Previous | Next >