Neutral word for 'The Quality of being Well-Known'

Katylar

English - USA, Hiligaynon, Filipino
Hi!

I'm trying to look for a word for the quality of being well-known. It should be neutral without any inherent positive or negative connotations or denotations. So far, the words I've come up with Fame, Renown, Popularity and Notoriety.

Unfortunately, the first three have a strongly positive meaning (i.e Fame even has the complementary 'Infamy').

Notoriety was originally neutral, but gained the negative connotation due to usage; this would eventually color the actual denotation of the word, to the point that it has an inherently negative meaning nowadays. Funnily, people now use the term notoriety or notorious in a more neutral way as a form of irony—but this doesn't change the fact that the proper use of the word has a negative flavor.

Does anyone have any ideas on such a word?

• colognial

Persian
    Hi. How about 'recognition'? Could you use it in your sentence? Example: Her work received recognition by the general public?

owlman5

English-US
    "Well-known" or "widely known" seem neutral to me, Katylar, and I'd use them if I needed something neutral with this meaning.

As you noted, "renowned", "popular", "famous", and "notorious" are not neutral.

cross-posted with colognial.

Katylar

Hmm. Could be usable. Basically, I'm making a list of the attributes/characteristics each presidential candidate has. So everything from 'Educational Attainment' to 'Gender' to 'Height', then 'Fame/Recognition/Notoriety'. So Recognition might not work.

Katylar

Hi Owlman5, unfortunately 'Well-known' works as an adjective, and I need a noun. Something like 'Well-known-ness'.

< Previous | Next >