Nevadan vs from Sierra Nevada

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
Although there is a geological study by Lanphere, Marvin; Irwin, William P.; Hotz, Preston E. (1968), titled the "Isotopic Age of the Nevadan Orogeny and Older Plutonic and Metamorphic Events in the Klamath Mountains, California", published in the Geological Society of America Bulletin, I am wondering if I could use the adjective “Nevadan” in a book I am writing about plants, flora and fauna of Sierra Nevada, in Spain, whose scientific name is, for example, Pingúicula nevadensis, an endemic Butterwort. Another example would be to refer to the biodiversity of this range as follows: “A significant part of the large Nevadan biodiversity is to be found on the crioromediterranean lands” Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Nevadan can also be use to refer to the someone/something from the State of Nevada in the US. IF your book explains the use of Nevadan in a glossary, footnote or introduction, then there should be no confusion.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The best idea would be to refer to it the same way as others do in similar scientific writing. That way people don't need to learn a new term for the same thing, which reduces confusion. If you can't find a standard wording that already exists, then you can define your own (as Julian says) and use it.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I suggest you mention "Sierra Nevada, in Spain" before you use the term "Nevadan". Then readers will understand. Once it is clear what area's flora you are talking about, "Nevadan" won't confuse anyone.

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    Of course the book is full of references to Sierra Nevada, in Spain. It's only some species of plants, animals, geological and orographic formations, all of which bear the scientific name "nevadensis" I'm talking about. I wouldn't dare to define, establish my own terminology, wording or technical jargon. It’s only when I saw the earlier mentioned report published in the Geological Society of America Bulletin, I began to wonder. Thank you very much all of you.

< Previous | Next >