...never before achieved (sentence completion)

< Previous | Next >

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
------ , something never before achieved in history.

A) That's what Turkey means to me
B) We are still young at heart, eager to face the future, still a growing nation
C) We have now proved that we can have both personal liberty and equalityof opportunity at the same time
D) Every time we have made a serious mistake in domestic or foreign affairs
E) Our nation's economic capacity is still as great as it always was
This question is from a non-native test book. I couldn't make up my mind. C seems correct to me; however I can't see any reason for A's and E's not being correct. Would you make it clear, please? Thanks in advance.

• Loob

English UK
    Hi Qomi:)

C seems the best answer to me, too.

I don't think E would work, because by definition E is describing something that has happened before in Turkey's history.

A might work in a particular context, though.

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
    Hi Loob,
    Thanks for your answer, it's quite clear now. By the way, the key suggests E; however, I told my students that C must be the correct one. As for A, as you said, maybe further context is needed. Thanks again. :)

Matching Mole

England, English
    The acceptability of (A) depends on whether you can consider "Turkey" (or any nation) as something that has been achieved. I think this is dubious. I don't think "that" can refer to previous context: it is a provisional subject, representing "something...".

(E) doesn't make sense in logic, as, if Turkey's economic capacity is now as great as it has ever been, it must have been at such a height of greatness before.

Packard

USA, English
    The acceptability of (A) depends on whether you can consider "Turkey" (or any nation) as something that has been achieved. I think this is dubious. I don't think "that" can refer to previous context: it is a provisional subject, representing "something...".

(E) doesn't make sense in logic, as, if Turkey's economic capacity is now as great as it has ever been, it must have been at such a height of greatness before.
    I agree. Plus the question is not well designed. It gives the appearance that the phrases (A, B, C, D, or E) should precede the "------ , something never before achieved in history."

And the resulting sentences do not work.

I think the answer should be "C" (and perhaps an "F" for the design of the question itself.)

< Previous | Next >