Never bend your head. Hold it high.

Karmi

Dutch
A friend of mine had to attempt and translate an English quote to Arabic. That friend asked me for help but myself had trouble translating this sentence.

Never bend your head. Hold it high.

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out by translating this sentence into Arabic.

Thank you! :)

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Never bend your head: لا تَحْنِ رأسك أبدًا.
    I'm not sure about the other part, ارفعها عاليًا sounds strange, so let's wait for more opinions.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    How about

لا تحنِ رأسك أبدًا فليكن دائمًا مرفوعًا

I don’t think we need عاليًا in Arabic. At least in Palestinian رافع راسو conveys the meaning.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes, in MSA and colloquial.
    I think رأس is only used as masculine when referring to the head(ing) of something, like رأس الموضوع. But the head (la tête) is feminine.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I had no idea! In Palestine, it's masculine in both colloquial and MSA. I wonder if it's feminine in any other countries?

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    Yes, in MSA and colloquial.
    In colloquial, I understand, but shouldn't MSA follow Classical Arabic? and shouldn't it be the same over the board?

In Classical Arabic, الرأس is masculine: it is mentioned in القاموس المحيط, the book المذكر والمؤنث also specifies it as masculine, and I remember a Hadith that goes like this: وليحفظ البطن وما حوى والرأس وما وعى وليذكر الموت والبلى وليترك زينة الدنيا". If the head was feminine then it would have been والرأس وما وعت.

With regards to the translation, I would go for
    لا تحنِ رأسك أبدا. اسمُ به

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I was going to say that to my knowledge الرأس is like a السوق، الطريق : words treated as both masculine and feminine, but then I went to check the information and couldn't find something decisive.
    We use the expression الرأس المدبر, but when referring to a person's head we use it in the feminine رأسه كبيرة. Or maybe I'm confusing colloquial and MSA now :( I'm not sure anymore.

< Previous | Next >