never seek out or dwell upon the thousand peaceful delights they could yield

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 30) | Genius

Quotation: I think, moreover, that Nature was not to him that treasury of delight it was to his sisters. He expressed once, and but once in my hearing, a strong sense of the rugged charm of the hills, and an inborn affection for the dark roof and hoary walls he called his home; but there was more of gloom than pleasure in the tone and words in which the sentiment was manifested; and never did he seem to roam the moors for the sake of their soothing silence—never seek out or dwell upon the thousand peaceful delights they could yield.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

to seek out => to search for and find (someone or something) <His parents sought out the best doctors in the field.> Definition of SEEK OUT
to dwell upon => (transitive) To continue to think or talk about (something or someone). dwell on - Wiktionary

the sentence => ... never search for and find and continue to talk about the thousand peaceful delights the moors could produce.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think you have understood perfectly. The sentence shows us that Mr St John was not like his sisters: they roamed the moors, looking to find "peaceful delights" there, and (when they were back at home) they enjoyed thinking and talking about those delights. Part of the pleasure of discovering the delights the moors had to offer them was to talk about their "adventures" and relive them in their imagination.

Their brother did none of that.

crossposted

< Previous | Next >