Never test the depth of water with both feet.

< Previous | Next >

danni-chan

English and Canada
Never test the depth of water with both feet. (moderator addition)

That has to be one of my favorite sayings of all time, and was wondering if its possible to translate it into Japanese. I asked someone a few months ago, but they didn't know. You guys seem to know everything, so, is it possible?

• cheshire

Japanese
    Before we translate it into Japanese please tell me exactly what the proverb or quotation is trying to say. 「両足で水の深さを測るな」 doesn't make sense, so it seems for the English one.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    If one dips one foot in the water, the other is on the ground. But if both feet are in the water and the current is fast enough, then the poor tester may get swept away... ;)

karuna

Latvian, Latvia
    ...or unexpectedly falling into very deep water. In other words don't act recklessly or without safety measures by assuming that things will be what one expects them to be. Close to "don't put all eggs in one basket" and some semblance to "don't burn your bridges".

danni-chan

English and Canada
    Yup, thats what it means.
    It has to be my favorite saying, because it seems like something I would end up doing anyways.

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    never test the depth of water with both feet
    If one dips one foot in the water, the other is on the ground. But if both feet are in the water and the current is fast enough, then the poor tester may get swept away
    That doesn't give us what it would be in kosher japanese, but it surely is a cool way to put things. Qu'en termes galants ces choses-là sont dites.

< Previous | Next >