never thought and wouldn't have thought

Bob8964

Chinese
Dear All,

I feel below two setences are very similar to me. I would think the possible meaning of them is: to say I has already seen her unexpectedly thougth I had expected that I would see her again.

I never thought I would see her again

I wouldn't have thought I would seen her again.

But there must be some difference between them. Could you please analyze it for me?

Best regards,

Bob

• Crenshaw

English
    "I never thought I would see her again"
    suggests that at the point where you last saw her, until now, you thought you would never see her again

I wouldn't have thought i would see her again

suggests that you DID think that you would see her again, but its not a complete sentence, because "wouldnt have thought" suggests a conditional.

except/if _______

I think this is a more complete sentence

"I wouldn't have thought I would see her again if she wasn't living on my street. "

that means that, since she is living on your street, you thought that you would see her again, and you thought that if she WASN'T living on your street, you would not see her again.

I THINK thats all correct.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Saurabh

English-British, Hindi
    I too hold the same view as expressed above by Crenshaw.
    Wouldn't have thought...............If/except.(some condition was to be met there :))

Bob8964

Chinese
    Thanks! They are so different, and I wouldn't have thought of it if Crenshaw hadn't put "if clause" into second one.

For "I never thought I would see her again" , I'd like to know when people can say it. Please check which is appropriate.

1. After I has just seen her, i.e., I saw her and then said it to other people immediately.

2. After I has seen her for a peroid, i.e., there is a distance between time of saying above words and the time of seeing her.

< Previous | Next >