New Grammar forum

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkellogg

Administrator
English - US
Hi everybody,

To help deal with the increasing number of posts, the moderators and I have decided that it was best to create a new forum for questions about grammar and other topics that are not about vocabulary.

The original idea for the Spanish-English forum was that it be a discussion only about vocabulary. Since then, we have seen quite a few questions about grammar, "How do I say..." and "What does this sentence mean?". Hopefully this new forum will provide a good space for these questions.

Mike

• Maeron

Canada, English
    I am doubtful whether this attempt at division is worthwhile. Grammar questions are being asked in the vocabulary subforum and vocabulary questions in the grammar subforum. The split was a good idea in principle, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working in practice. What do others think?

Masood

British English
    I agree with Maeron.
    The Grammar forum is not being used as well as the Vocab forum. This is frustrating because I have Grammar-related questions, so I post my questions there, even though the vast majority of people are in the other forum (ironically, where my question would be much more likely to be answered). This is very frustrating. In principle the idea of the forum split is great, but in practice, I don't think it's working; when people enter the forums, they will naturally go into the one where there are already loads of people. Can we go back to a single forum? What do the rest think?
    Thanks,
    Masood.

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    I think we just need to give it more time, and maybe we will ask the moderators to start forcing people by moving threads from one forum to another. People's questions are still being answered in the Grammar forum anyway.

I also hope to make it easier for people to differentiate between the forums and look at both of them at the same time.

Tomas Robinson

USA, English & Spanish
    Masood said:
    I agree with Maeron.
    The Grammar forum is not being used as well as the Vocab forum. This is frustrating because I have Grammar-related questions, so I post my questions there, even though the vast majority of people are in the other forum (ironically, where my question would be much more likely to be answered). This is very frustrating. In principle the idea of the forum split is great, but in practice, I don't think it's working; when people enter the forums, they will naturally go into the one where there are already loads of people. Can we go back to a single forum? What do the rest think?
    Thanks,
    Masood.
    I agree. Please go back to a single Spanish-English forum! There's a problem with the name in the Forum Column...other languages appear as before (Italian-English, for example). But you can't tell you're inside a Spanish-English forum when you only see names of the SUB-forums! :confused: The same goes for the English-Only forum...why was it exiled to life as a sub-forum of Other Forums?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Regards,

jacinta

USA English
    Hi all;

I understand the confusion here. I think the intent of Mike is to ease the moderating of the Spanish language forum. It has the heaviest traffic and by splitting it into two categories, we can manage the posts a little easier. Why don't we just give it a little time to see how it plays out. Maybe we (the moderators) should consider moving posts if they seem out-of-place. I'll take a look when I'm not so tired!

Saludos

Maeron

Canada, English
    mkellogg said:
    I also hope to make it easier for people to differentiate between the forums and look at both of them at the same time.
    Yes, having the moderators move threads to the proper subforums would be a good way to help distinguish them and keep them more "pure." I see this is already happening between the English-only, cultural and language forums, and it seems to be helpful.

Also, for now (while methods for viewing both at the same time haven't been implemented yet), how about a cross-link at the top of each Spanish subforum to the other sub-forum? That way users can switch easily between subforums without having to go back up one level to the Spanish forum first.

Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    Maeron said:
    I am doubtful whether this attempt at division is worthwhile. Grammar questions are being asked in the vocabulary subforum and vocabulary questions in the grammar subforum. The split was a good idea in principle, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working in practice. What do others think?
    I agree with Maeron. In the first place most people in the Spanish/English forum want to read both Grammar questions and Vocabulary questions. Now it is difficult to switch between the two subfora. Also it is probably impossible in principle to distinguish the different types of questions. Most questions will likely involve grammar and vocabulary--well, if not most, at least some will.

Perhaps some other method could be used to divide moderating work. I know that some other moderated groups that I read have several moderators. I don't know how they split the task up, but I think it is probably done by putting some kind of tag on posts that have already been moderated and a moderator will just pick up the first unmoderated posting on the list.

Maeron

Canada, English
    Edwin said:
    Also it is probably impossible in principle to distinguish the different types of questions. Most questions will likely involve grammar and vocabulary--well, if not most, at least some will.
    Good point! Good suggestions in your post.

supercrom

Banned
    Homo peruvianus, practising AE n' learning BE
    mkellogg said:
    Hi everybody,

To help deal with the increasing number of posts, the moderators and I have decided that it was best to create a new forum for questions about grammar and other topics that are not about vocabulary.

The original idea for the Spanish-English forum was that it be a discussion only about vocabulary. Since then, we have seen quite a few questions about grammar, "How do I say..." and "What does this sentence mean?". Hopefully this new forum will provide a good space for these questions.

Mike
    De verdad que sí que ha crecido el foro de una manera muy veloz, casi a velocidad de la luz.
    En especial el subforo de Vocabulario General. Tal vez por eso se necesita hacer un subsubforo dentro de éste. Puede ser, por ejemplo, vocabulario formal y vocabulario coloquial, con advertencias de que es sólo vocabulario.

Yo también me equivoqué de foro ayer y pregunté acerca de vocabulario en el subforo de gramática... no pude borrarlo :(.

Ésa es mi sencilla propuesta.

Espero ayudar a solucionar este problemita que puede convertirse en cosa incontrolable.

blanchrt

España (ES-es)
    I do not think it would be so difficult to distinguish either of the forums, provided that someone confirms me that "Vocabulary" refers to single words discarding expressions (formed by more than one word), in which case (I mean the latter, i.e., I am wrong and "Vocabulary" does not restrict to one word items), it would be not so easy to tell where to locate some questions, if grammar should really had to be considered a must for the purpose of understanding the meaning of a combination of signs.

Anyway, despite it could demand a special effort from the moderators (already granted by the fact that they did consider -and propose- that a split would be convenient), I think the key would rest on insisting on the existence of the two forums -and the differences between them- and suggesting a second thought by the contributors before deciding upon placing a question in either of them.

I believe it would be a mere matter of time to get most of the questions led to the proper place, and, if a few of them (hopefully just "a few") ended in the wrong location, after all, what we all here want -and enjoy- is to get as close as we can to "understanding" or "helping others understand".

I salute you all, just registered here, so please forgive me for my English. I am from Spain and really love this language and am happy to help with mine.

Paco

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >