New Man

< Previous | Next >

audiolaik

Polish
Hello,

I've just bumped into the following expression, namely New Man. According to its definition, it means

a man who believes that women and men are equal and should be free to do the same things, and who does tasks and shows emotions that were traditionally considered only suitable for women.
source

Can one use it to make fun of such person? Does the expression sound pejorative?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Loob

English UK
    Difficult question, audio!

I don't use the term.

But people who do could use it either positively or ironically. I suspect most people use it ironically....

johndot

English - England
    People who use the expression “New Man” invariably do so with a pitying look on their faces; those who wouldn’t have a pitying look on their faces if they were to say it, don’t say it.

ewie

English English
    I totally agree with JohnD ~ it's a type of human being invented by admen in the 1990s in order to attempt to sell to men products that were previously only bought by women. It has since been irrefutably proven that there is no such thing as a New Man.

Well, you asked.

Last edited:

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    I totally agree with JohnD ~ it's a type of human being invented by admen in the 1990s in order to attempt to sell to men products that were previously only bought by women. It has since been irrefutably proven that there is no such thing as a New Man.

Well, you asked.
    Is that another word for "Metrosexual"? :)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I won 't post the link here, it would get deleted anyhow - but if you visit youtube.com and search for "christine lavin" and "sensitive new age guys," you will get a very funny musical take on the concept.

pwmeek

English - American
    New Man: I suspect that it is an advertising phrase created by someone with no reference whatsoever to the Bible, and probably in complete ignorance of it.

If I were to use it (unlikely) it would probably be in order to make fun of such a phrase (but not necessarily of a man espousing such virtues).

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    A new man can mean many different things. It does not necessarily mean whatever you have been claiming. Maybe in a special context it could mean that. If this is what you mean by a new man, there is nothing pejorative about it, but not too many people would understand the phrase without context, in my opinion. Why would you want to make fun of such a person, but if you really do, I think you have to chose different words. Even if it is spelled with capital letters, it can still mean different things, in my opinion. For some philosophers from the past centuries, a New Man was something totally different. So, I think you would have to make reference to the advertising industry, somehow, for many people to understand it, and still, it is not pejorative by itself.

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    A new man can mean many different things. It does not necessarily mean whatever you have been claiming. Maybe in a special context it could mean that. If this is what you mean by a new man, there is nothing pejorative about it, but not too many people would understand the phrase without context, in my opinion. Why would you want to make fun of such a person, but if you really do, I think you have to chose different words. Even if it is spelled with capital letters, it can still mean different things, in my opinion. For some philosophers from the past centuries, a New Man was something totally different. So, I think you would have to make reference to the advertising industry, somehow, for many people to understand it, and still, it is not pejorative by itself.
    Who exactly are you talking to, Lil?

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    I am talking to the poster, the one who posted the question: I am sorry if this has not been clear. If I heard the term new man out of context, I would think about a Renaissance man, or something like that.

ewie

English English
    It wasn't terribly clear, no, as nine or ten other people have answered in the interim. (There's no law against you addressing people by name, Liliana.)

sound shift

English - England
    I wonder if any bloke is so taken in by advertising that he is capable of saying "I'm a New Man" without the slightest hint of irony and without realising that most of the audience will think, "Yeah, right. And you're clearly a prat too." I doubt it.

ewie

English English
    For metrosexual see this thread >>>
    metrosexual

I wonder if any bloke is so taken in by advertising that he is capable of saying "I'm a New Man" without the slightest hint of irony and without realising that most of the audience will think, "Yeah, right. And you're clearly a prat too." I doubt it.
    I can't imagine such a thing, Mr S.

< Previous | Next >