New slang

< Previous | Next >

cuchuflete

Senior Member
EEUU-inglés
I finally got around to looking at the April 24 N.Y. Times.
An article on language lists some new --to me at least--expressions. The title of the article is "Words to baffle your spell check". I think that should be spell checker. I don't know how one would baffle a check, or even a Czech.

In any event, for your consideration:

Romance
dormcest: Hooking up with someone who lives in the same residence hall.

creeping: Cheating on someone

Misccellany
To marinate: To relax

I wonder how many years it will be before a dictionary adds these. By then they may be out of fashion.

For more, see this web site:

www.csupomona.edu/-jasanders/slang/
 
  • Benjy

    Senior Member
    English - English
    SEAGULL MANAGER - A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps On everything, and then leaves.

    that is the best thing i have read in ages :)
     

    Edwin

    Senior Member
    USA / Native Language: English
    cuchuflete said:
    The title of the article is "Words to baffle your spell check". I think that should be spell checker. I don't know how one would baffle a check, or even a Czech.


    That's something with which I also had trouble. :)

    I agree that "spell checker'' sounds better, but one definition of "check" is "the act of testing or verifying". So "spell check"could be interpreted as the noun ''check'' modified by ''spell'' indicating the kind of check. Perhaps the grammar check performed by the Times editor was not faulty.
     

    te gato

    Senior Member
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Benjy said:
    SEAGULL MANAGER - A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps On everything, and then leaves.

    that is the best thing i have read in ages :)
    Hey Benjy;
    ja ja ja...
    I lauged at that one and the one about..
    Percussive Maintenance...(me in my house) :D

    te gato;)
     

    lainyn

    Senior Member
    Canadian English
    In the same line of thinking as "dormcest":

    Floorcest (this is WAAYYY worse than dormcest as it's like sleeping with a member of your family for the year)

    To explain, in the dorm I lived in, each floor had a lounge,kitchen and service area served amongst 40 people. They were your family for the year, lead by an FC or Floor Coordinator.

    I also learnt a lot of words for the male equipment, but I'll refrain. This is the education university has given me!

    ~Lainyn
     

    cuchuflete

    Senior Member
    EEUU-inglés
    Edwin said:
    That's something with which I also had trouble. :)

    I agree that "spell checker'' sounds better, but one definition of "check" is "the act of testing or verifying". So "spell check"could be interpreted as the noun ''check'' modified by ''spell'' indicating the kind of check. Perhaps the grammar check performed by the Times editor was not faulty.
    Given that explanation, I shall consider my noun well baffled and modified.:)

    Seriously, I did consider that the process could be baffled, but it sounds awkward, even if it may be grammatically correct.

    Thanks,
    Cuchu
     

    cuchuflete

    Senior Member
    EEUU-inglés
    lainyn said:
    In the same line of think as "dormcest":

    Floorcest (this is WAAYYY worse than dormcest as it's like sleeping with a member of your family for the year)

    To explain, in the dorm I lived in, each floor had a lounge,kitchen and service area served amongst 40 people. They were your family for the year, lead by an FC or Floor Coordinator.

    I also learnt a lot of words for the male equipment, but I'll refrain. This is the education university has given me!

    ~Lainyn
    Hi Lainyn,

    I'll trade some of my college's slang for some of yours!

    Shmen= first year students, regardless of gender.
    Latrinalia=Philosophical musings inscribed on bathroom walls
    tool=idiot, fool, jerk
    Book= verb to study
    Pinheads=what people in the surrounding towns call the students
    Emmets and Newts=what the students call the locals, depending on which side of the river they are found

    That's all I can remember at the moment. College was long away and far ago.:)

    un saludo,
    Cuchu
     

    te gato

    Senior Member
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Jajajajaj..Cuchu KIA;
    I have always called it my spell checker as well...not that mine works very well..It refuses to recognize te gato English..go figger!!!

    te gato;)
     

    lainyn

    Senior Member
    Canadian English
    Hey Cuchu,

    I'm happy to let you know that some of your college slang is alive and well in the system today. We still use "tool", but the verb "book" is now commonly accompanied by "it" and means "to run" (I'm sure it's not college specific). We seem to have an impoverished vocabulary for non-offensive things :'( - for example, first years are just called First Years, or rarely, Twinkies.

    ~Lainyn
     

    cuchuflete

    Senior Member
    EEUU-inglés
    te gato said:
    Jajajajaj..Cuchu KIA;
    I have always called it my spell checker as well...not that mine works very well..It refuses to recognize te gato English..go figger!!!

    te gato;)
    How do you spell checker?

    C A B
     

    te gato

    Senior Member
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    cuchuflete said:
    How do you spell checker?

    C A B
    KIA;
    Duh!!! I was going to write C.A.B...but I see that you have beaten me to it again...ahummmm...Excuse me..but that was my Cab...did no one ever teach you 'Ladies First'...:D

    te gato;)
     

    gaer

    Senior Member
    US-English
    cuchuflete said:
    I finally got around to looking at the April 24 N.Y. Times.
    An article on language lists some new --to me at least--expressions. The title of the article is "Words to baffle your spell check". I think that should be spell checker. I don't know how one would baffle a check, or even a Czech.

    I tend to mistrust any source of up-to-date slange that does not know the word "spellchecker"!!! :D

    But I'm interested in the list now. :)

    Gaer
     

    gaer

    Senior Member
    US-English
    Edwin said:
    That's something with which I also had trouble. :)

    I agree that "spell checker'' sounds better, but one definition of "check" is "the act of testing or verifying". So "spell check"could be interpreted as the noun ''check'' modified by ''spell'' indicating the kind of check. Perhaps the grammar check performed by the Times editor was not faulty.
    Or perhaps he doesn't use a spellchecker. :D

    And even though my spellchecker is using a wordlist coming from Microsoft, in this case I also agree that "spellchecker" is fine as one word. ;)

    G
     

    gaer

    Senior Member
    US-English
    te gato said:
    Hey Cuchu KIA;
    And even more....from the 'New Slang Dictionary 2005'..

    http://www.area51newmexico.com/slang05.html

    te gato;)
    My favorites:

    1) 404 - Someone who's clueless. From the World Wide Web error message "404 Not Found," meaning that the requested document could not be located.

    2) SALMON DAY - The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die.

    3) SEAGULL MANAGER - A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps On everything, and then leaves.

    "404" I plan to USE!

    Gaer
     

    te gato

    Senior Member
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    gaer said:
    My favorites:

    1) 404 - Someone who's clueless. From the World Wide Web error message "404 Not Found," meaning that the requested document could not be located.

    2) SALMON DAY - The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die.

    3) SEAGULL MANAGER - A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps On everything, and then leaves.

    "404" I plan to USE!

    Gaer
    ha ha ha ha ha..
    I know..I just howled when I read them..
    I wonder if you would get fired if you called your boss Mr.Seagull..mmmm..just a thought..:rolleyes:

    te gato;)
     

    cuchuflete

    Senior Member
    EEUU-inglés
    Edwin said:
    That's something with which I also had trouble. :)

    I agree that "spell checker'' sounds better, but one definition of "check" is "the act of testing or verifying". So "spell check"could be interpreted as the noun ''check'' modified by ''spell'' indicating the kind of check. Perhaps the grammar check performed by the Times editor was not faulty.
    I offer Edwin bonus point, well earned, for his opening sentence.

    It was subtle, and so well written that I didn't notice his Philco/Emerson style sheet at work!

    That's something I also have trouble with. I'm working on it.:)

    Thanks for pulling my chain so deftly.

    Cuchu
     

    gaer

    Senior Member
    US-English
    cuchuflete said:
    I offer Edwin bonus point, well earned, for his opening sentence.

    It was subtle, and so well written that I didn't notice his Philco/Emerson style sheet at work!

    That's something I also have trouble with. I'm working on it.:)

    Thanks for pulling my chain so deftly.

    Cuchu
    Perhaps you were given a "deft chain pull" about the term "spell check". :D

    Gaer
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top