New Year's Eve... A verb

Kaastorp

SPAIN; Castilian Spanish & Catalan
Is there a verb to explaing the celebration/passing from one year to the next? I read an article on the Guardian a week ago and I think the author used a word to refer to the passing/celebration of New Year's Eve but I haven't been able to find it. Any ideas?
Thanks and Happy Nwe Year*

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Kaastorp. You might have run across the phrase "to ring in the New Year". "Ring in" is a phrasal verb and is the only one I can think of that is used to mean "to celebrate the New Year".

Loob

English UK
    I was racking my brains in vain until owlman answered, but his "ring in" has reminded me (thanks, owlman:thumbsup:) of another possibility: "see in the New Year".

Kaastorp

SPAIN; Castilian Spanish & Catalan
    Thanks to you all. Yes, definitely it was ring out (the old year) & ring in (the new). I guess I won't ever forget these two new words though I might never use them again. Thanks to all the other "synonymous" buddies' contributions from both shores of the Atlantic. I love learning new words and widening my knowledge of your so abyssal English lexicon*

Grefsen

English - United States
    Thanks to you all. Yes, definitely it was ring out (the old year) & ring in (the new). I guess I won't ever forget these two new words though I might never use them again. Thanks to all the other "synonymous" buddies' contributions from both shores of the Atlantic. I love learning new words and widening my knowledge of your so abyssal English lexicon*
    I just thought I would add that it used to be customary in England to ring out the Old Year at midnight on New Year's Eve by slowly ringing church bells once every 4 to 10 seconds (tolling) as is done when someone has died. After this the church bells would ring in the New Year with normal (peal) ringing of about one ring per second.

< Previous | Next >