newly or additionally

< Previous | Next >

meijin

Japanese
Hi, please see the following example survey question I made up.

Q. Where in your local area do you want an electric vehicle charger to newly or additionally installed?

I googled with "newly or additionally" and was surprised to receive a very small number of results. Is "newly or additionally" unidiomatic?

• heypresto

English - England
    Neither 'newly' or 'additionally' feel right here. I would omit them altogether. I would also add 'be' after 'to':

Where in your local area do you want an electric vehicle charger to be installed?

I'd probably change 'want' to 'would like' as well, but that might depend on the surrounding questions.

meijin

Japanese
    I would also add 'be' after 'to':
    Strange...It was there when I double-checked the sentence before posting. :eek:

I would omit them altogether.
    So, how would you convey the "You are allowed to name locations where there's already one or more chargers are installed" message?

I'd probably change 'want' to 'would like' as well, but that might depend on the surrounding questions.
    Would you still use "would like" even if the survey was conducted by a car manufacturer, not by a manufacturer of EV chargers?

heypresto

English - England
    Depending on how many chargers are already in the area, and how many the company is prepared to install, I think I would say 'Where in your local area do you want another/additional electric vehicle charger(s) to be installed?'

'Would like' is generally 'softer' and more polite than 'want', and I personally think it would sound better in this context. But it's not that big a deal.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    ‘Newly installed’ means ‘recently installed’.

I’d only use ‘additional’ if it followed something about the existing recharge stations. Otherwise it’s superfluous.

meijin

Japanese
    another/additional electric vehicle charger(s)
    That's it!! :thumbsup:

and I personally think it would sound better in this context.
    Good to know. Maybe it's because a charger manufacturer isn't a car manufacturer's competitor? Or would you still use "would like" if the question was, say,
    "What kind of car would you like Honda to develop?" (when the respondents don't know the survey is conducted by Mazda, for example)?

meijin

Japanese
    Depending on how many chargers are already in the area, and how many the company is prepared to install, I think I would say 'Where in your local area do you want another/additional electric vehicle charger(s) to be installed?'
    I've just noticed that "another" and "additional" here mean the same thing and the question forgot to include new installation. Would the following work?

Q. Where in your local area do you want an/another electric vehicle charger to be installed?

heypresto

English - England
    'Additional' (without 'an') would be necessary if it said 'electric vehicle chargers'. If there's only one charger on offer, then 'another' or 'an additional' is necessary.

Your new version sounds fine to me.

But I think the final version might still depend on what has been mentioned before this question in the survey.

meijin

Japanese
    'Additional' (without 'an') would be necessary if it said 'electric vehicle chargers'.
    Yes, I understood why you used both "another" and "additional + (s)" in your previous post.
    Thanks for confirming the final version. I agree with your last comment.

< Previous | Next >