newsagent's

< Previous | Next >

dudass

spanish
My doubt is about the plural form of this and similar words.

In my neighbourhood there is a newsagent's.
In my neighbourhood there are two newsagent's/ newsagents/ newsagents' ??

Thanks a lot.

• owlman5

English-US
    If you are referring to people who sell newspapers and magazines*, then "newsagents" is the normal plural form of "newsagent": In my neighborhood there are two newsagents.

If you are referring to the newspaper shop that is owned by somebody who sells newspapers, then the possessive form "news agent's" is possible: I'll meet you at the newsagent's at four this afternoon. = I'll meet you at the shop the newsagent owns at four this afternoon. You should realize that "newsagent's" means "the place that belongs to the newsagent." It doesn't express any kind of plural.

* I never hear people use "newsagent" in my part of the world. I'd expect to hear something like "news vendor".

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Hi dudass

I'd say that newsagent's (which is a common term in BrE) is an abbreviated form of newsagent's shop, just as grocer's is an abbreviated form of grocer's shop.

The plural of newsagent's shop would be newsagent's shops, so the plural of newsagent's [] is newsagent's []: one newsagent's, two newsagent's;).

ewie

English English
    Newsagents are ten a penny (10 /1p) in the UK, Mr O.

The shop is a newsagent's. I (for one) would treat it as an invariable noun:

There's a newsagent's on the corner.
    There are four newsagent's in this street.

See also here newsagent's [plural form?]

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Cross-posted with Mrs L while my computer was having one of its little 'episodes'.

owlman5

English-US
    Newsagents are ten a penny (10 /1p) in the UK, Mr O.
    Thanks for the confirmation, Mr E. :) Once I found the compound "newsagent" in our dictionary, I figured it was commonly used in BE. I'm sure I've seen the word in print over here, but I don't think I've ever heard "newsagent" in a conversation with anybody.

< Previous | Next >