'Newsroom' in women's weekly?

< Previous | Next >

herut

HKI
Finnish
What's the workplace in a women's weekly magazine called? A newspaper would have a newsroom, but a women's magazine isn't focused on news really. Is it simply office?

• JazzByChas

American English
    This would depend on what the women's weekly published. I would agree that most women's magazines deal with medical issues, research, fashion, health, and other women's [personal] issues.

I would not put it beyond the realm of possibility however, that a news magazine could exist that was for/by women.

Old Novice

USA, English
    The workers are called "reporters," whether what they write is "news" or not. So you could use "press room" if you didn't like "newsroom." I would think of "office" as pertaining to the business part of the magazine (advertising, purchasing, circulation, and so on).

But if you want to be exact, you need to wait for a reporter's comments.

Loob

English UK
    Intriguing question, herut! Googling - at least my googling - only throws up specifics, like "worked in the art/features/entertainment department at [magazine x] or "worked on the editorial staff of [magazine x]".

As Oldy says, you need someone in the business:D

herut

HKI
    Finnish
    JazzByChas, it could be a men's magazine as well (please disregard the connotations), i.e. a magazine, where news is not the main focus. I'm not trying to dictate what a women's magazine should be about.

Old Novice, I don't think "press room" quite works for me either. Because I do not want to focus on the reporting aspect of it too much, more so the workplace as a whole.

Loob, yes, it seems to be a bit tricky. Hopefully someone comes up with something!

sistergirl

English - U.S.
    As I recall from my brief stint at a lifestyle magazine, we called it the editorial department. That was further broken down into subdepartments (gardening, food, crafts, etc.).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >